Re: Jam Echelon Day [OCTOBER 21] - The Disinformation Has Begun

From James Glave <james@wired.com>
Date Wed, 06 Oct 1999 15:26:55 -0700
Cc hacktivism@tao.ca, alert@onelist.com, anarchism@egroups.com, bay_area_activist@onelist.com, earthfirst@igc.org, environment@onelist.com, hpn@aspin.asu.edu, imap@chumbly.math.missouri.edu, ishmael@onelist.com, ravenz_nest_activism@onelist.com
In-reply-to <19991006221323.97374.qmail@hotmail.com>

[: hacktivism :]

I received an email from Linda with Jam Echelon in the subject that I
understood to be a part of the Hacktivism list discussion. Here is her
response to my query, which appears in the footer of the letter. I probably
should have written to more people on the hacktivism list, and for one
reason or another, this gained steam here in the newsroom and was not
researched thoroughly enough. It began as a small itme, what we call a
"brief," and grew until suddently it was our top story.

It's the equivalent of a nugget in the "Also" column of a paper getting
bumped to page one "above the fold," and I didn't do enough to stop it
until it was more properly researched.

The correction should be live any minute now, reflecting the exact date.

jtg

James Glave, Wired News http://www.wired.com  +1 (415) 276-8430