RE: HateWatch Press Release: Activism vs Hacktivism

From "Lownie, James" <James.Lownie@au.unisys.com>
Date Sun, 19 Sep 1999 22:18:29 -0400

[: hacktivism :]

> From: Caine Soma [mailto:caine@4zzzfm.org.au]
>
> On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Parsifal wrote:
>
> > No it isn't.
> > A campaign poster is showed in public places : streets.
> > A web site is a private property.
> > To replace its home page, you have to break into this
> digital property,
> > like a burglar.
>
>        What, and the established law enforcement agencies
> don't do this
> already?  A web page has exactly the same function as a street poster.
> And as the web is supposed to be a "public domain", then there is no
> crime.

When did a web page become public domain?  It's private property as much as
anything is.

> > If you agree with this breaking, you must agree with the
> FBI when they
> > ask for the right to break into your house and have a look at your
> > computer when you are away.....
>
>        You don't store your valuables, life savings, diary or a lot of
> incriminating evidence on your computer, do you?

Valuables, yes, diary, yes, incriminating evidence, yes.

> Breaking
> into a solid
> physical structure is, I think, quite different from altering
> digitally
> stored information which is simply intellectual property.
>

> > Let's be coherent ....
> >
> > Freedom of speech and inviolability of private property are two
> > fundamental values which can not be reserved to a few ones,
> or to those
> > you think to be worthy of them.
>
>        With every right, there must be a responsibility.  If
> you choose to
> exercise your freedom of speech, then you have to expect that
> someone out
> there is going to disagree (quite vehemently) with something
> that you come
> out with.

That's fine.  And they're quite welcome to put up their own web page
espousing their own ideas, the same as I did.

James