Re: HateWatch Press Release: Activism vs Hacktivism

From Caine Soma <caine@4zzzfm.org.au>
Date Fri, 17 Sep 1999 18:07:39 +1000 (AEST)
In-reply-to <199909052254.SAA27711@tao.ca>

[: hacktivism :]

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Parsifal wrote:

> No it isn't.
> A campaign poster is showed in public places : streets.
> A web site is a private property.
> To replace its home page, you have to break into this digital property,
> like a burglar.

       What, and the established law enforcement agencies don't do this
already?  A web page has exactly the same function as a street poster.
And as the web is supposed to be a "public domain", then there is no
crime.

> If you agree with this breaking, you must agree with the FBI when they
> ask for the right to break into your house and have a look at your
> computer when you are away.....

       You don't store your valuables, life savings, diary or a lot of
incriminating evidence on your computer, do you?  Breaking into a solid
physical structure is, I think, quite different from altering digitally
stored information which is simply intellectual property.

> Let's be coherent ....
>
> Freedom of speech and inviolability of private property are two
> fundamental values which can not be reserved to a few ones, or to those
> you think to be worthy of them.

       With every right, there must be a responsibility.  If you choose to
exercise your freedom of speech, then you have to expect that someone out
there is going to disagree (quite vehemently) with something that you come
out with.  I personally have absolutely no pity for the KKK and other hate
groups.  You can teach a group of monkeys about nuclear physics until the
end of time, but they'll still be just monkeys.

P.S.  By the way, I'm delurking now.  Hi.

__
  Triple Zed  102.1MHz			Agitate, Educate, Organise
  Brisbane, Australia			+61 7 3252 1555 voice
  caine@4zzzfm.org.au			+61 7 3252 1950 fax
  "The Day of the Living Zed" --> http://marketday.4zzzfm.org.au