RE: Call to Aid (East Timor)

From "Adrian M. Carsiotis" <adrianc@skipjackic.com>
Date Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:03:59 -0400

From: worker-hacktivism@tao.ca [mailto:worker-hacktivism@tao.ca]On
Sent: Friday, September 10, 1999 9:36 AM
To: hacktivism@tao.ca
Subject: FW: Call to Aid (East Timor)

From: worker-hacktivism@tao.ca [mailto:worker-hacktivism@tao.ca]
Sent: Monday, September 06, 1999 1:54 PM
To: hacktivism-approval@lists.tao.ca
Subject: BOUNCE hacktivism@tao.ca: Non-member submission from
[TheClearinghouse@SoftHome.net]
-----Original Message-----
To: hacktivism@tao.ca
Subject: A Call for Aid

Hello, you don't know me. It doesn't matter. Listen anyway.

You say you are "hacktivists." If that is so, then I call on all of you to
use your skills to aid the East Timorese who are being systematically
slaughtered by the Indonesian militia. A week ago an election was held. The
East Timorese came from out of their hiding places in the hills to vote
almost unanimously for independence from Indonesia. They came in fear; they
believed they'd be protected, but that was not to be. Now hundreds are being
slaughtered systematically; their homes burned and their world destroyed.
They trusted, but they *were* and ARE being betrayed. The UN, all diplomats,
the press, all aid workers etc., have abandoned Dili and the rest of the
East Timor area. The Timorese are a people abandoned; they need your help in
whatever form you can offer...I can say no more, but Indonesia should be a
target for protest of all kinds. I leave it to your consciences, and trust
in your wisdom.

A sad spectator