Re: Netwar Against the EZLN

From Flint Jones <flint@nsa.secret.org>
Date Thu, 2 Sep 1999 13:26:55 -0400 (EDT)
In-reply-to <37CE8AC7.4324EA84@thing.net>

[: hacktivism :]

This quote is the most relavent ones to hacktivists in general.  To
decrypt it out of government speak... The governmental strategy will be to
annihilate social networks that oppose the government ("delinquent
groups").  Any organization that appears to have a connection through such
a network will be part of the government strategy.  That strategy includes
classic counterinsurgency (mass murder, assassinations, rape, beatings),
spread lies, sending in spies, creating front groups.

None of this is new, its Cointelpro with a new label for the new millenia,
and its no different than whats been going on throughout the world.

If you dissent, or support anyone who dissents... your an enemy of the
state and they intend to destroy you.  This is even if your just opposed
to government brutality of its own citizens or whatever.

I don't really find this that disturbing... what I do find disturbing is
the casual way which this policy is presented.

Based on the idea of this policy, I'm sure TAO certainly qualifies as a
social network which has ties to deliquent groups (ofcourse, I guess so
does Hotmail and Geocities ;)  And,  any of us on this list (unless were
spooks) pretty much qualify as enemies.

They are talking about destroying a social network... by any means they
can.  Hacktivism seems very non-violent in comparison.  Should using
floodnet qualify you for execution?  Seems like thats what some advisors
are recommending as policy.

We don't even have to ask, "Which side are you on?"; it seems we've all
been grouped together.

Solid,
	Flint