Re: the hotmail hack

From Chuck0 <chuck@tao.ca>
Date Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:05:35 -0400
Organization Mid-Atlantic Infoshop is da Bomb
References <199908312356.TAA21316@tao.ca>

[: hacktivism :]

Mike wrote:

> [: hacktivism :]
>
> > maintain an anonymous identity for a GeoCities sex site that I maintain.
> > I noticed several months ago a HUGE increase in junk mail to my Hotmail
> > account. It went from 1 spam message a day to 15. I'm convinced that
> > Microsoft sold my Hotmail address to some spam company.
>
> You are right. I tracked down a spammer who spammed me on Hotmail, gave them
> unholy hell, and was told by them that Microsoft had sold them the list with
> my email address on it, and if I didn't want to be spammed why was I on
> Hotmail.
>
> Mike

Ah ha! Thanks for the research, Mike, my suspicions are confirmed. I've
been using email since 1992 and I never saw a increase in spam like I
did several months ago with Hotmail. The volume of spam has stayed
constant too.

If we could find out more about this, we could use it against Microsoft.

BTW, my I got my Hotmail account 2 years ago, way before Microsoft took
it over.

--
Chuck0
http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/

Dr. Laura is scared of this sig file
Mid-Atlantic Infoshop
http://www.infoshop.org/

Spunk Library
http://www.spunk.org/
"All the anarchy you'll ever need, organized neatly
and with reassuring authority."
  -- 1998 Rough Guide to the Internet

FREE MUMIA ABU-JAMAL AND LEONARD PELTIER!