Re: the hotmail hack

From James Glave <james@wired.com>
Date Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:38:16 -0700
In-reply-to <Pine.LNX.4.05.9908311549540.9855-100000@tao.ca>

[: hacktivism :]

Thanks, Jesse.

Your feedback is very welcome.

The individual in Sweden who was acting as my go-between has severed
communication with Wired News. I think he is frustrated with my somewhat
brainless description of IRC as a place where hackers and crackers
coordinate their activities. I did not intend to paint IRC with that brush,
but that's how it came off and I'm not about to go into a story and tweak it.

The group Hackers Unite -- if they even exist as a group -- was *very*
skittish about speaking with me. I believe they justifiably fear the wrath
of the FBI and Microsoft. Alas, the sum total of the information I learned
about them is in the story.

We have no plans to develop any further coverage at this point. I did a
television interview here in the Bay Area last night, and a quick radio
interview that will run tonight on the CBCs As it Happens.

jtg

James Glave, News Editor, Wired News http://www.wired.com  +1 (415) 276-8430