Re: Re: Timorese 'hacktivists' warn of revenge

From xdaydreamx@gmx.net
Date Tue, 31 Aug 1999 01:53:10 +0200 (MEST)
References <Pine.NEB.4.05.9908300218590.26168-100000@phalse.2600.com>

[: hacktivism :]

The problem seems to be whether or not one can call such
actions "hacktivism" or not. On the one hand BroncBuster
says that groups such as those threatening to attack
the Indonesian government and economy should not be grouped
under the term "hacktivists". Others uphold that what
they are doing is necessary and just and that this
corresponds to their understanding of what "hacktivism"
means. The essence is that people disagree on what are
appropriate means and ends.
 Is this surprising? No, of course not. Whenever the
politically active come together they will disagree
simply because people come from different backgrounds
and different experiences. Of course somebody who has
enjoyed an upbringing in a liberal democractic country
will have a very different attitude to somebody who has
experienced state or non-state violence and oppression.
And scores of people writing on an email list from loads
of different places are _going_to_disagree_. That is,
after all, what discussion is about. So far, you probably
think, I'm stating the obvious.
 So if we are going to disagree on the means and ends,
maybe we should get away from giving the term "hacktivist/m"
a normative meaning. Instead of insisting that all
"hacktivists" must be law-abiding robin hoods or not
call themselves/ be called "hacktivists", the term could
be more useful if applied to any form of "hacking activism",
whether we approve of it or not. There is no point in saying
such and such a group are not hacktivists simply because
we disagree with them. That brings us nowhere. It is about
as helpful as the insistence that hackers are "good" and
crackers are "evil".
So what do you say we simply concur that "hacktivism" covers
a very wide range of activities and concentrate on the real
discussion: what the results could be, what we can learn
from them, and even whether they are "good" or "bad". But
not whether they are "hacktivists".

jjf

> Look here, like I said in my post, I have no idea if their cause is just
> or not, and as far as I am concerned, it's totaly irrevelant. They might
> have all the right in the world to do what they are, but my post was
about
> the story and if it should of been grouped in with hacktivism or not. I
do
> not mean to belittle anyone, or any cause, I was just questioning that
> story.
>
> As far as their skills go, who knows. I have been security consulting
for
> a while, and I know a lot of people in the security game as well, and we
> know what it would take to pull off such a feat as they are threating.
But
> again, that is neither here nor there, and was not what my post was
about.

> regards,
>    Bronc Buster
>   bronc@2600.com
>

> On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Lev Lafayette wrote:
>
> > [: hacktivism :]
> >

> > I strongly suggest that you familiarise yourself with both the general
> > and specific information relating to the "threats" of Jose
Ramos-Horta.

> > In general, Indonesia's occupation of East Timor has no legitimacy.
Only

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net