Re: Hacktivists: Cyberwarriors or Political Agoraphobics?

From Paul Mobbs <mobbsey@gn.apc.org>
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2001 00:36:27 +0000

[: hacktivism :]

At 07:21 22/02/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Thursday March 8th
>Hacktivists: Cyberwarriors or Political Agoraphobics?
>ICA #8/#7/#6
>7.00pm
>Tickets and Information: 0207 930 3647

Hi,

I've got a few more precise location details for those interested in
finding the place. Attached below.

P.

=3D=3D=3D

THURSDAY March 8th, 2001

7pm, The Nash Room, The Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA),
The Mall, central London.

Tickets and Information: 0207 930 3647

(Nearest tube Charing Cross - walk out of Trafalgar Square through
Admiralty Arch into the Mall, and the ICA is on the right side a little
ways down the road. If you want a map go to
http://www.ica.org.uk/info/location/)

HACKTIVISTS:
CYBERWARRIORS OR POLITICAL AGORAPHOBICS?

If you believe the hype, the geeky computer hacker has transformed himself
into the baudy byte bandit of the new infowars and an electronic Pearl
Harbour is just around the corner. But is electronic civil disobedience
just the politics of agoraphobia?

Does online activism replace or complement more traditional forms of
protest? Who is the real enemy, Big Brother or Big Business?  To address
such questions and to get beyond media sensationalism a panel will discuss
whether meaningful political activity can take place online.

Speakers include Paul Mobbs, a frequent presence in the media as
spokesperson for the hacktivist group, Electrohippies; Tim Jordan,
sociologist at the Open University, whose books include "Cyberpower: The
Culture and Politics of Cyberspace and the Internet"; and Caroline Basset a
regular columnist for MacUser who teaches at Sussex University. In the
chair is Paul Taylor, lecturer in the sociology of technology at the
University of Salford and author of "Hackers: Crime in the Digital Sublime"=
=2E

-------------------

"We are not for names, nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for
this party nor against the other=85 but we are for justice and mercy and
truth and peace and true freedom, that these may be exalted in our nation,
and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace and unity
with God, and with one another, that these things may abound." (Edward
Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul Mobbs, Mobbs' Environmental Investigations,
tel./fax (+44/0)1295 261864
Email mobbsey@gn.apc.org
http://www.gn.apc.org/pmhp/meir.htm