Re: Mitnick, Organizing, Etc.

From Bronc Buster <bronc@attrition.org>
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2000 00:27:30 -0600 (MDT)

[: hacktivism :]

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Ernesto Aguilar wrote:

> Figured I'd toss some thoughts...
> >not to be *too* offensive, but I think that the whole "Free Kevin" thing
> >was counterpoductive, and isolated hackers and hacker-aware individuals
> >from anything useful, rational, or, in any way socially beneficail.  He
> >[Mitnick] was/is a good posterchild for the way that the FBI/CIA/NSA/theMAN
> >can watch people, pinpoint them, and destroy them.  But the reaction was
> >useless and weak, IMHO, and almost entirely individualistic.  So what if
> >you shut down the FBI website for a few minutes? So what if you deface a
> >website that is restored in 15 minutes to a few hours?  Big deal.
> You'll find many like-minded people here. :)

Damn, what a long winded post. To make a long story short, like it or not,
the FREE KEVIN movement started the entire idea we call Hacktivism.

It was the first online movement with a cause that 'hackers' rallied
behind. It's a historical fact, so it's no use arguing the point, or
bickering if you argee or disagree the facts of his case.

How people decided to get their message across back then, I don't think
should be open to debate today. The net is a vastly diffrent place back
then, then it is now. Back then defacing a web site WAS big news. Those of
us who were around back then understand this, and how diffrent a time it
was.

As far as the cDc goes, they have been around longer then I bet ANYONE on
this list has been. The net wouldn't be what it is today, for better or
worse, without what the cDc has offered up over the years.

Just my ramblings at midnight in a hotel room in denver after having very
poor room service...

regards,
   Bronc Buster

bronc@attrition.org