The Burn! server has been disconnected

From Flint Jones <flint@mobtown.org>
Date Thu, 1 Jun 2000 13:33:49 -0400 (EDT)

[: hacktivism :]

I wonder if this means we can except the U.S. government to step up its
involvement in Columbia's Civil War.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:27:24 -0400
From: quique@dojo.tao.ca
To: a-infos-en@ainfos.ca
Subject: (en) The Burn! server has been disconnected

      A - I N F O S  N E W S  S E R V I C E
            http://www.ainfos.ca/

Today (wednesday May 31th, 2000), about 15:00 (local time) the Burn! machine
has been disconnected, and cannot be reached at http://burn.ucsd.edu anymore.

This decission was taken by the Department of Communication of the University
of California, San Diego (http://communication.ucsd.edu), where the Burn!
machine used to operate. The reason was the "unusual increase of the protest
calls that the Department of Communication regularly receives". It seems that
this increase was caused by the attention payed by Burn! to the FARC in
Colombia. It seems that this increase is not only quantitative, but also
qualitative: they were from important people in the university.

The UCSD is a private institution. Last week, there was a meeting between a
Burn! comrade and the direction of the Department, trying to find a solution.
I guess this meant to remove the info about the FARC. The page was no
changed, and, because the "persistence of pressions", the director of the
Department of Communication, "very sorry", disconnected the server. I don't
know what the Burn! comrades plan to do.

Those who want to express their concerns, can write to the director of the
department:
Carol A. Padden
e-mail: cpadden@ucsd.edu
Tel: (858) 534-2843
Fax:(858) 534-7315

I insist that I don't know what kind of campaign or actions the Burn!
comrades plan to do. As far as I know, the relation between Burn! and the
department direction is (maybe was) of dialogue.

Salud y lucha.

                       ********
               The A-Infos News Service
      News about and of interest to anarchists
                       ********
               COMMANDS: lists@tao.ca
               REPLIES: a-infos-d@lists.tao.ca
               HELP: a-infos-org@lists.tao.ca
               WWW: http://www.ainfos.ca
               INFO: http://www.ainfos.ca/org

 To receive a-infos in one language only mail lists@tao.ca the message
                unsubscribe a-infos
                subscribe a-infos-X
 where X = en, ca, de, fr, etc. (i.e. the language code)