Re: Cops Plan Bloody Sunday

From Bronc Buster <bronc@attrition.org>
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2000 11:21:45 -0600 (MDT)

[: hacktivism :]

I have a really good friend who I went to school with who is a cop in DC.
After talking to him at some length it appears clear to me that it is not
the "criminal liberal media" making up the lies, but the "poor
defenceless" protestors. After attending through training classes and
numerous lectures about Seattle and the events there, the police in DC are
well trained and are following a very strict set of rules for engaging
the crowds.

>From what my friend told me over the phone is that the protestors that
were engeged (which the media is reporting on today) were violent! He said
there were groups of people numbering from 500 to 1000 at any given time,
marching around DC in the rain looking for targets to take their anger out
on. From single police officers, to loan patrol cars escorting traffic,
they were looking for trouble. In one engegment my friend was directly
invloved in he said the police did nothing but stand behind their fences
and baracades until the crowd advanced upon them in a threatening manner
(throwing objects, getting on top of cars, engaging officers in front of
the baracades and fences, etc). He said it wasn't until people started
getting on police cars, and cars on the street and until some people were
attempting to breach the police lines that the police had to use gas,
papper spray and start arresting people to cause the crowd to stop and
scatter.

What do people expect the police to do? Leave and let a mob storm
buildings and run unchecked in the streets of this nations capitol?
Non-violent protests are one things, but what is going on is DC is
another. I am not saying everyone there is viloent, but what happened
today, from what i was told, were a direct result of the protestors
actions.

In regards to this FUD below, I kind of found it kind of odd that someone
who knows they could DIE from CS or Tear Gas would put themselves in
harms way. Maybe somethings are worth getting arrested for, or whatever,
but anyone who would carelessly risk their life is a moron. Why not get a
big banner of with what you want to say and jump off a building with it?

PS. WTH does this have to do with Hacktivism in the first place?