Re: Mattel and Cyberpatrol

From Bronc Buster <bronc@attrition.org>
Date Sat, 18 Mar 2000 13:33:43 -0700 (MST)

[: hacktivism :]

Why is the answer to every problem to attack someone?

First off let me say, I have been a suporter of Peacefire since they
started many years ago, before, I imagine, most of the people on this list
even heard of them.

Peacefire has been in a long ongoing campaign against censorship software,
like CyberPatrol, and has provided many "pies in the faces" of companies
who make these software package. This incident is another example of quite
a large pie being splattered in their face, and the PR damage is emence.
For this I salute Peacefire.

On the other hand, I SERIOUSLY doubt Peacefire would want anything to do
with a "netwar" against anyone. Childish actions like these only tarnish
the positive PR that cam eout of this. If CyberPatrol has a case against
Peacefire is another matter. Peacefire has harmed this company, and if the
claims against them are valid, well it's a matter for the courts to look
at.

Why not do what thousands of others did against the MPAA with the DVD
code? Insted of letting Peacefire take the brunt of this legal hit, make
it impossible for CyberPatrol to take actions. Take the list they want
Peacefire to take down and spread it all over the net until it is
impossible for anyone to do anything about it. Take the code that breaks
the encryptions on the CyberPatrol files and rewrite it in diffrent
languages and distribute it. Spread the information until there is nothing
that can be done about it.

Do something positive so that people will support it.

Sorry for always sounding like a broken record, but actions like what are
being called for here are TOTALY 100% WRONG, and I will oppose them at
every turn.

regards,
    Bronc Buster
bronc@attrition.org