Re: Ehippies new DoS tools and information (what is free speech?)

From Pan <jaimelm@umich.edu>
Date Sun, 12 Mar 2000 02:35:59 -0500

[: hacktivism :]

Ben Earnhart wrote:

> 1) What of organizations (such as many .coms and/or multinationals who are
> potential recipients of DoS attacks) whose only message is "show me the
> money"?

Yeah, that may be the message, but the message doesn't matter.

> then corporations and individuals both win, and DoS attacks might motivate
> them to modify their speech.

DOS attacks on the whole do not convince the corporations to change
their message. Mostly it motivates them to increase security (which is
good, but not the intent). I would prefer methods that show patrons an
opposing point of view, while leaving the site intact and accessible.

> furthermore, if it's not too boring or arcane, it automatically goes in the
> newspaper and into major media, even with a free press, simply because they
<snip>
> other hand, even if activists have a good point, nobody listens unless they
> can attract attention, either through marketing a "sexy" issue like the
> killing of cuddly creatures, or by getting attention by their own actions.

Exactly, but there are a multitude of ways to attract attention and
creatively express an opposing opinion without completely denying access
to the site. My view of Hacktivism is like spraying painting a wall. The
building is still there, but when people walk by during rush hour, they
are forced to see the new idea. Yes, it's naive and idealistic. Oh Well.

--
Sensory Research
http://sensoryresearch.com