Re: Ehippies new DoS tools and information

From Bronc Buster <bronc@attrition.org>
Date Tue, 7 Mar 2000 13:49:24 -0700 (MST)

[: hacktivism :]

So what we have now is Hacktivism boiling down to nothing more then Script
Kiddie antics. Great. I am sure this will help to convince people that it
is a legit method of action.

While looking over the paper posted on the ElectroHippies web site, it
became clear the person who wrote it thinks that the laws don't apply to
them that may apply to other people who may launch DoS atacks.

The reasons they say for these DoS actions being justified were that in
the DDoS attacks against Yahoo, etc, third party systems were broken into
and used an amplifiers. For these DoS attacks, only your system is used
against a target and no outside systems are used, therefore making a clear
line between these evil crackers and their nobel efforts.

Well lets look at the big picture. When Yahoo was taken offline due to the
DDoS attacks, not only Yahoo was taken down, but so was EVERYONE that used
Yahoos same Internet Provider, because they were all on the same backbone.
So lets say insted of 2 people, we get 100 people to DoS the WTO web site
and it grinds to a halt. Well not only is the WTO being punished, but
again, so is EVERYONE on that same Internet Providers backbone.

DoS attacks are more like the carpet bombing used in Vietnam. Sure you may
hit the target, but then again, you hit everyone else around it,
regardless if they are innocent or not.

Not to mention, DoS attacks are a federal crime and could land you in jail
for quite a while.

I have gotton a ton of hate mail and flames over my last few posts, so you
people out there with nothing better to say then "f*** off" can save it.

Hacktivism should not boil down to DoS attcks and script kiddie antics, it
should be about making changes and informing people.

Right now a team I am on is working closely with human rights groups and
hacker groups on a set of hacktivism applications to be released this
summer at DefCon. It will show that Hacktivism is a real way to use the
net for to blend activism and technology in a posive way, while helping
people at the same time.

Hacktivism shold be about positive actions and bringing issues to light,
not about punishing people or companies over views you may not agree with.

regards,
   Bronc Buster
bronc@attrition.org