Re: ~e; on learning basic electronics

From louis schultz <aailanthus@mac.com>
Date Fri, 16 May 2003 02:44:33 -0400
In-reply-to <9CCAF1BE-86F5-11D7-A569-0003936C456C@electronetwork.org>

Brian,

As I already stated, my email was motivated by the fact that despite
trying several times to figure out what you were writing about and why,
I could not make any sense out of what you wrote. You are certainly
dedicated and very enthusiastic about your mission and I appreciate
your efforts. What I was trying to suggest is that if the forum that
you established is to reach it's full potential, then clear
communication is important. A little re-reading and editing for the
sake of clarity might help make your outpouring of enthusiasm less
opaque to your readers.

You sort of jump all over the place in your writing, so if you will
allow, I will respond in a similar fashion. I only have a little time
now, but I will give you a few things to research.

First of all, your work with the alphabet will require more knowledge
of it's origins and evolution than you currently seem to have. We don't
use an English alphabet, we use a Roman alphabet. One of the legacies
of the Roman empire is that it's alphabet spread in usage to cover much
of the world. The Arabic alphabet also spread along with the Islamic
religion and may be used to write several languages including Arabic,
Turkish, Persian, etc. We use Arabic numerals, since the Roman method
was so cumbersome. Thank god (Allah?) for that handy zero they gave us.
The Roman alphabet has it's origins in Sumerian, Phoenician, Hebrew,
Greek, and who knows what other earlier precedents. Of course as
writing evolved through the millennia it evolved so that letters have
things in common. Letters need to be clearly different from one
another, but since they are traditionally written with one tool,
efficient writing and beautiful design require that they have much in
common. The Roman alphabet (not script obviously) was developed to
write carved inscriptions on buildings and monuments. It had to be
similar to script which was written with a broad tipped pen, but it was
very carefully drawn with an emphasis on precise geometry. The letters
that Jasper Johns uses are modern, but clearly, they are derived from
that sort of precedent. Histories of typography and writing are not
hard to find. I can recommend some if needed.
http://www.library.wisc.edu/libraries/SpecialCollections/hsi350/
durer.html

You mention wanting to make a 3d array of leds. You also throw a 4th
dimension in there for some reason that I can't follow. Before jumping
to extra dimensions, lets take a look at two. You compare the Union
Jack with the led. I don't quite see why. The Union Jack could be seen
as  a 3 by 3 matrix of points connected by lines. The led is a similar
matrix, but it is not connected in the same way. One has rotational
symmetry and the other does not. When you add one or more additional
dimensions, that lack of rotational symmetry starts to make issues more
complicated.  I suppose that the led is the link to the Jasper Johns
work.  I think the fact that we can make out a letter on a led speaks
more to the clarity of their basic forms and to our training than to
some root formal structure. No one writes  the number 8 the way it
looks on a led, but we can learn to recognize it on a led. So, I find
it hard to see the connections among these three things. It seems to me
that the multidimensional bs that I referred to was thrown in there to
cover for the fact that some of these basic connections weren't really
explored in simpler ways. There are numerous books and websites devoted
to basic symmetry.

Classical architecture undocumented? Hardly! Vitruvius, Palladio,
countless others. Try Rob Krier's "Architectural Composition"
qid=1053065697/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/103-7698685-2491055?v=glance&s=books

All right I need to go to bed, so I will just throw out some more stuff
to look for.

I think you would really like this, but it is hard to find anywhere on
the internet. Look for used book dealers.
The Genesis of Form     Mark Verstockt   isbn 0-584-11109-6

The Geometry of Art and Life     Matila Ghyka  Dover Books cheap and
readily available
Mind Tools    Rudy Rucker    deals with some math issues that you might
find to be useful/interesting
The Power of Limits   Gyorgi Doczi  I think I spelled his name right
classic look at numerical order in the universe
anything by Keith Critchlow

Please don't misunderstand my intentions, I don't mean to be
discouraging. In fact I look forward to seeing what you send. The only
way we can help one another find answers to questions and guidance on
our individual journeys is if we can decipher communication from one
another. I couldn't tell you the first thing about electronics, but I
do hope that I can help in other areas. Thats the beauty of a network,
we all know a little but collectively we know a lot.

Louis