Re: ~e; on learning basic electronics // code

From human being <human@electronetwork.org>
Date Thu, 15 May 2003 13:06:23 -0500
In-reply-to <4AE6C535-868F-11D7-B5DF-0003936C456C@electronetwork.org>

>  in a caveman-meets-electronics aesthetic. (In these examples it
>  is jewelry, but it could be cryptographic I have always imagined).

  "The Greek historian and cryptographer Polybius is credited
  with a significant advance in signaling and ciphermaking.
  Based on an idea developed by the philosopher Democritus,
  the Democritus/Polybius system used various torch signals
  to represent letters of the Greek alphabet. In the history of
  cryptography, Polybius is immortalized for his creation of a
  true alphabet-based system based on a five-by-five grid
  configuration, which came to be known as a Polybius checker-
  board. This system was the first to provide a transferral of letters
  to numbers in a pattern that was relatively easy to recall, and
  became a foundation of later cryptographic techniques."

  p.22 Codes, Ciphers, and Other Cryptic and
Clandestine Communicatons. Fred B. Wrixon
Black Dog & Levinthal Publishers (note: this
system was learned about 10+ years after the
discovery of this same idea and exploration of
its cryptographic possibilities for the record.]

p.190 Example of the Polybius Checkerboard

  		1	2	3	4	5

1		a	b	c	d	e

2		f	g	h	ij	k

3		l	m	n	o	p

4		q	r	s	t	u

5		v	w	x	y	z

* note this is the same alphanumeric display
as an array of LEDs to perform functions in
an updated model in which each asterisk below...

  		1	2	3	4	5

1		*	*	*	*	*

2		*	*	*	*	*

3		*	*	*	*	*

4		*	*	*	*	*

5		*	*	*	*	*

[compare to the LED alphanumeric displays
and the HIOX model which is a 5x5 model,
of the letters and alphabet in a visual form,
which could be used for cryptography and
also for performing mathematical functions
via calculating relations between structures,
for example genetic sequences in which the
letters are part of a computational model.]

  the electromagnetic internetwork-list
  electromagnetism / infrastructure / civilization
  archives.openflows.org/electronetwork-l
  http://www.electronetwork.org/list/