~e; Study: PDAs Good for Education

From human being <human@electronetwork.org>
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:00:10 -0600

// having just written about this without knowledge of
// the study named below, it is interesting that the same
// technology that is said to be in mortal-threat in the
// marketplace, may be the best platform for student
// learning, in contrast to laptop programs where students
// learn how to use these, and not the basics of education...
// see URL below for story links and additional information...

Study: PDAs Good for Education

By Katie Dean, 02:00 AM Nov. 12, 2002 PT
http://wired.com/news/school/0,1383,56297,00.html

Handheld devices, once solely the province of CEOs needing a small
electronic organizational device, are another step closer to being
accepted as teaching aids in public schools.
Classroom technology proponents, always desperate for institutional
proof that new gadgets can improve the learning process, can thank a
study by nonprofit research and development firm SRI International.
The study showed PDAs not only help organize calendars and phone
numbers, but are also useful to students. PDAs can help in collecting
data, writing papers, checking facts, synching data with desktops and
laptops, and collaborating on projects.
It may not seem like much at face value, but a study like the one
released Monday can have a domino effect.
"I think it's great," said Elliot Soloway, a University of Michigan
professor who has developed educational software for the Palm. "This
data will enable us to go forward with the next step in the agenda --
studying the impact of these handhelds on student learning."
The study observed that 89 percent of teachers found the handhelds to
be an effective instructional tool for teachers, 93 percent believe the
PDAs can have a positive effect on students' learning, and 90 percent
plan to continue using the devices post-study.
Out of 1,200 applications, about 100 teachers in a variety of different
subjects and grade levels across the country received Palm Education
Pioneer technology grants for the 2001-2002 school year. Palm donated
more than $2.3 million in equipment to participating schools.
Teachers themselves proposed ideas for how the Palms would be used in
their classrooms.
"We were looking for truly innovative uses of the handhelds," said Phil
Vahey, the principal investigator of the Palm program. "In general, we
didn't tend to support projects where they would use them as
organizational tools."
Study leaders used teacher evaluation surveys at the end of each
semester as their main form of data collection. Researchers also
surveyed students, asked teachers to fill out monthly status reports
and popped in for site visits to get a clearer picture of how the PDAs
were used.
"Because we examined handhelds across so many learning contexts and
types of schools, our findings are robust," SRI research scientist
Valerie Crawford said. "These findings speak to many different types of
schools and classrooms."
The study also gave researchers practical information on best practices
for implementing the handhelds in class, she said.
Rick Ayers received 30 Palms to use with Berkeley High School students
on the production of their school newspaper, the Jacket.
"It was helpful because it allowed for more efficient information
gathering, fact checking -- and for interfacing with the production
computer," said Ayers, an English teacher and last year's adviser to
the paper. "They could compare information with each other, compare
quotes and use the dictionary."
Senior Gabriel Hurley-Ramstad is an editor at the Jacket and said that
the PDAs were "definitely helpful to us."
Still, "in terms of general use, a public high school is not the best
place for these devices," Hurley-Ramstad said. "Petty theft is the No.
1 problem at Berkeley High."
None of the Palms was stolen, but graphing calculators and CD players
are often swiped from students' backpacks, he said.
Researchers also discovered that sometimes a Palm is not enough on its
own.
According to the study, nearly all teachers reported that additional
applications were essential to maximize the benefits of the handhelds.
Using handhelds and scientific probes for data collection, like
measuring water quality, turned out to be a successful use of the
technology, Vahey said.
"Handhelds actually make the operational aspects such as collecting
data much easier," Crawford said. "It's easier for students to focus on
the data itself."
Researchers were surprised to find that teachers liked using the
handhelds for writing assignments, provided that students could use a
keyboard attachment. Students who struggle with their handwriting
weren't as frustrated or discouraged.
Soloway said the devices support evolutionary change in the classroom.
"In previous technologies such as Logo (a programming language) and the
Internet, we said to teachers, first you have to change, then you can
use the technology," he said. "With handheld technologies, we say do
what you're doing now, but you can get a little more."
"With these data, we get to first base. It's not the home run yet, but
at least we're on first base."

copyright Wired News, 2002
http://wired.com/news/school/0,1383,56297,00.html
  the electromagnetic internetwork-list
  electromagnetism / infrastructure / civilization
  archives.openflows.org/electronetwork-l
		http://www.electronetwork.org/