~e; Fwd: [TSCM-L] Nanny-Cam May Leave a Home Exposed

From human being <human@electronetwork.org>
Date Sun, 6 Oct 2002 20:16:36 -0500

// forwarded article on video-wardriving. in the past few weeks
// i was wondering if, since radio signals can be picked up, if
// these wireless video cameras could, and this seems to indicate
// that it is indeed possible (and, legally, as of now). what is
// still in question is what equipment one needs, if it is highly
// specialized equipment such as TSCM (technical surveillance
// countermeasures) people use, or if it is readily available...

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "James M. Atkinson" <jmatk@tscm.com>
> Date: Sun Oct 6, 2002  6:41:20  PM US/Central
> Subject: [TSCM-L] Nanny-Cam May Leave a Home Exposed
>

> April 14, 2002, Sunday
> BUSINESS/FINANCIAL DESK
>
> Nanny-Cam May Leave a Home Exposed
> By JOHN SCHWARTZ (NYT) 1758 words
>
> Thousands of people who have installed a popular wireless video
> camera, intending to increase the security of their homes and
> offices, have instead unknowingly opened a window on their activities
> to anyone equipped with a cheap receiver.
>
>    The wireless video camera, which is heavily advertised on the
> Internet, is intended to send its video signal to a nearby base
> station, allowing it to be viewed on a computer or a television. But
> its signal can be intercepted from more than a quarter-mile away by
> off- the-shelf electronic equipment costing less than $250.
>
>    A recent drive around the New Jersey suburbs with two security
> experts underscored the ease with which a digital eavesdropper can
> peek into homes where the cameras are put to use as video baby
> monitors and inexpensive security cameras.
>
>    The rangy young driver pulled his truck around a corner in the
> well-to-do suburban town of Chatham and stopped in front of an
> unpretentious house. A window on his laptop's screen that had been
> flickering suddenly showed a crisp black-and-white video image: a
> living room, seen from somewhere near the floor. Baby toys were
> strewn across the floor, and a woman sat on a couch.
>
>    After showing the nanny-cam images, the man, a privacy advocate who
> asked that his name not be used, drove on, scanning other houses and
> finding a view from above a back door and of an empty crib.
>
>    In the nearby town of Madison, from the parking lot of a Staples
> store, workers could be observed behind the cash register. The driver
> walked into the store and pointed up at a corner of the room. ''Take
> a look,'' he said. Above the folded-back steel security shutters was
> a nubbin of technology: a barely perceptible video camera looking
> down on the employees.
>
>    ''I can only imagine driving around the Bay Area with one of
> these,'' said Aviel D. Rubin, a security researcher at AT&T Labs,
> which identified the problem.
>
>    Around San Francisco, high-technology toys like security cameras
> are likely to be far more common. Mr. Rubin tries to help the
> business world recognize security threats and address them. Although
> there is no evidence that video snooping is widespread, it is so easy
> and the opportunity to do it is so great that it is a cause for
> concern, said Mr. Rubin, who was along for the ride.
>
>    Such digital peeping is apparently legal, said Clifford S. Fishman,
> a law professor at the Catholic University of America and the author
> of a leading work on surveillance law, ''Wiretapping and
> Eavesdropping.''
>
>    When told of the novel form of high-technology prying, Professor
> [...]

  the electromagnetic internetwork-list
  electromagnetism / infrastructure / civilization
  archives.openflows.org/electronetwork-l
		http://www.electronetwork.org/