~e; 1 article, 1 CFP

From bc <human@electronetwork.org>
Date Sun, 8 Sep 2002 22:21:26 -0500

  // lost a weekend collection of an unusually unusual
  // range of hyperlinks due to a computer crash and so
  // have these two left. first is an article that is as
  // clear an example of how EM surveillance can create
  // prisons as devastating as those with actual bars...

A High School Where the Sensorship Is Pervasive

Test: Cameras track pupils at Santee school.
Campus' cameras see pupils' every move. Most shrug it off,
but privacy advocates don't.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-fi-campus8sep08.story

  // the second is an interesting call for proposals in a
  // general sense, having many aspects for electromagnetic
  // interpretation, and sent for those who may find it of
  // interest in this regard, or in any other. here it is...

>Date         Sun, 8 Sep 2002 17:04:30 -0400
>Sender       History of Technology Discussion <HTECH-L@SIVM.SI.EDU>
>From        Erik Conway <garthilion@COX.NET>
>Subject      CFP: Monitoring the Environment
>To       HTECH-L@SIVM.SI.EDU
>
>Monitoring the Environment: Scales, Methods, and Systems in Historical
>Perspective
>
>Efforts to manage human uses of the environment often depend on a society
>first reaching consensus on what to measure and then putting systems in
>place to monitor the desired indicators.  Mature indicators often become
>tightly linked with relatively formal decision-making procedures and give
>rise to specialized instruments, methods, and networks.  The quantity being
>measured and the scale at which measurement occurs varies widely, ranging
>from microscopic to global and from the chemical and physical to the
>biological and cultural.  Examples include the concentration of chemicals in
>air or water, satellite-based geophysical measurements, noise levels,
>aquifer levels, risk indexes, the reaction of test organisms, and the ratio
>of paved to unpaved surfaces in urban areas.
>
>We seek papers that examine the process by which a measurable quantity comes
>to be accepted as a legitimate indicator of environmental quality.  What
>concerns gave rise to use of the new indicator?  To what extent did the
>resulting system of measuring and monitoring depend on new technology and
>those who developed that technology?  How was the adoption process for the
>measurement regime affected by institutional considerations within
>regulatory agencies, research laboratories, or activist organizations?  In
>general, what insight does the case provide into ongoing efforts to select
>indicators and develop socio-technological systems that allow societies to
>monitor and manage environmental change?
>
>Papers will be presented at a seminar conference held at the Hagley Museum
>and Library on July 18, 2003.  One goal of this conference, sponsored by the
>Society for the History of Technology, is to encourage discussion among
>historians working at the intersection of technology and the environment.
>Graduate students are encouraged to participate, and travel expenses will be
>subsidized.  Please send electronic copies of your paper proposal and a
>brief vita to Hugh Gorman (hsgorman@mtu.edu) and Erik Conway
>(e.m.conway@larc.nasa.gov) by Dec. 1, 2002.

  [end]

  the electromagnetic internetwork-list
  electromagnetism / infrastructure / civilization
  archives.openflows.org/electronetwork-l
		http://www.electronetwork.org/