~e; Fwd: Openflows Newsletter #3

From human being <human@electronetwork.org>
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2002 23:43:36 -0500

  [openflows.org has been generous in hosting two lists for
  the electronetwork.org project, and is working on a draft
  of the idea of 'open source intelligence', which would be
  appreciated if persons on the list read it and share any
  comments, ideas, or suggestions you have. thank you. bc]

>To: announce@openflows.org
>Subject: Openflows Newsletter #3
>
>Openflows Newsletter #3		http://openflows.org
>Late April, 2002
>
>Greetings!
>
>The last couple of months have been quite busy here at Openflows. We
>passed a milestone: finishing our first fiscal year (which, as the tax man
>will have it, was 16 months long).  However, rather than tell you about
>the panoply of projects that we are and have been developing -- we will do
>that soon, promised -- we would like to focus your attention on something
>in particular.
>
>We'd like to invite you to read and comment on an essay that we have been
>working on called Open Source Intelligence. In this text, we are trying to
>spell out the conceptual framework for what Openflows (among others)
>practices: applying some of the experiences from the Open Source/Free
>Software movement to the collaborative gathering and analysis of
>information.
>
>The current version of this essay has been long overdue, and is the
>culmination of a few drafts, which will manifest at some point into a
>larger book. At present it is medium length (~5000 words) and has been
>written for a conference titled Cyberutopias, held in Zagreb this
>coming May 4/5 2002.
>
>It is a draft, one we think is worth your time, although it needs further
>input. And who could be more qualified than the extended Openflows
>networks? We look forward to hearing from you.
>
>Jesse Hirsh and Felix Stalder
>

>OPEN SOURCE INTELLIGENCE
>http://news.openflows.org/article.pl?sid=02/04/23/1518208
>
>by Felix Stalder and Jesse Hirsh
>version 1.0 April 2002
>
>In the world of spies and spooks, Open Source Intelligence (OSI) signifies
>useful information gleaned from public sources, such as newspapers, phone
>books and price lists. We use the term differently. For us, OSI is the
>application of collaborative principles developed by the Open Source
>Software movement to the gathering and analysis of information. These
>principles include: peer review, reputation- rather than sanctions-based
>authority, the free sharing of products, and flexible levels of involvement
>and responsibility.
>
>Like much on the Internet in general, including the Open Source Software
>movement, practice preceded theory also in the case of OSI. Many of the
>Internet's core technologies were created to facilitate free information
>sharing between peers. This included two-way communication so that
>information could not only be distributed efficiently, but also evaluated
>collaboratively. E-mail lists - the most simple of all OSI platforms - have
>been around since the mid 1970s. In the 1980s, bulletin boards, FidoNet and
>Usenet provided user-driven OSI platforms with more sophisticated and
>specialized functionality. In the 1990s, many of these platforms were
> [...]

  the electromagnetic internetwork-list
  electromagnetism / infrastructure / civilization
  archives.openflows.org/electronetwork-l
		http://www.electronetwork.org/