~e; fusing nuclear particulars

From bc <human@electronetwork.org>
Date Thu, 7 Mar 2002 20:03:08 -0600

  [most everyone may have heard of the pop-can fusion experiment that has
  been widely discredited. and so it is somewhat hard to know what to make
  of another 'coffee cup' experiment that demonstrates the nearness of fusion.
  also, given the bubbles, maybe it is somehow related to the quantum foam...]

Raises Promise of Clean, Limitless Energy From Bubbles

'Science' Magazine: Researchers Claim Tabletop Fusion Success

by Erik Baard
http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0210/baard.php

According to an article to be published in Science, tabletop
fusion-the Holy Grail of new-energy dreamers-may have been achieved,
possibly paving the way to cheap, clean power. Scientists say they
have discovered that, by using the shock waves of collapsing
bubbles-yes, bubbles-they can create the heat and compression needed
to fuse atoms. If the experiment passes further scrutiny, tabletop
fusion could open a means to produce power using common elements like
hydrogen, and with far fewer nuclear waste products than traditional
uranium-fed fission nuclear power plants.

"I think there's definitely fusion," says the paper's coauthor,
Richard T. Lahey Jr., a professor of engineering at Rensselaer
Polytechnic Institute. "Don't think I'm being too flippant in saying
`Yeah, it's fusion.' There are a lot of ways to create fusion, so
that's not a shock. But it is a shock to make fusion so cheaply. You
should see-we have something like two coffee cups." Lahey has been
pursuing the process for eight years, most intensively for the past
three, with funding from Oak Ridge National Laboratory and the
Pentagon's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. Lahey's former
doctoral student Rusi P. Taleyarkhan led the effort at Oak Ridge and
secured much of the funding.

To a layman, the claims made by Talevarkhan and Lahey might sound
very much like the cold-fusion hype that surrounded Stanley Pons and
Martin Fleischmann in 1989. But a key difference here is that
computer simulations of shock waves indicate a tiny area of the
bubbles may reach up to 10 million degrees Kelvin, as hot as the
center of the Sun, where fusion naturally takes place. The phenomenon
of sonoluminescence-by which bubbles collapse and produce great heat
and flashes of light-has been observed for a century, and even shrimp
use it in nature to stun prey. What is new is simply its application
to generate heat for fusion. Rather than water, the "bubble fusion"
experiment used the chemical acetone with its normal hydrogen atoms
replaced by deuterium, a heavy hydrogen isotope that can undergo
fusion reactions.

Still, that hasn't stopped critics from blasting the paper as cold
fusion reincarnate. Dr. Robert Park of the American Physical Society,
who has for a decade ridiculed new-energy theorists for not
publishing papers in respected journals, broke a Science embargo
Friday to lash out against the prestigious publication for going
ahead with the paper. Park's What's New weekly e-mail bulletin made
reference to the "cold fusion fiasco of 13 years ago" when discussing
the "bubble fusion" paper.

Science moved up its publication date to an online edition on March 7
and lifted its embargo today because "the reports were getting
increasingly distorted," according to Ginger Pinholster, a
spokesperson for the magazine and its publisher, the American
Association for the Advancement of Science. Pinholster specifically
cited Park in the decision. "We knew the paper would be
controversial, but it went through a rigorous peer-review process. We
felt the best service would be to get it out in the public domain and
let scientists debate it and try to reproduce the experiment, and
assess if it's a viable energy alternative or not," she explained.

On that note, Lahey is cautious. While he is confident that fusion is
occurring more efficiently than in other systems that use
accelerators, magnets, and electric arcs, he says, "What do you do
with it is not so clear at this point. We can reproduce it, and we
know other scientists are going to have to reproduce it in their
labs, but the question is, can we scale up and can we sustain a chain
reaction? If we could it would solve a tremendous amount of problems.
It would really be a boon, but of course that's the next dream."

While, as Pinholster notes, "Dr. Park's analysis didn't undergo peer
review," it is drawn from work by two nuclear scientists, Mike J.
Saltmarsh and Dan Shapira, who argue they didn't see the fingerprints
of fusion in neutron production when they replicated the Oak Ridge
experiment. In the review, Shapira and Saltmarsh, also of Oak Ridge,
report that they found "no evidence" for one of the telltale products
of fusion reactions, and that further research is needed. In their
response, Taleyarkhan and colleagues report that Shapira and
Saltmarsh did, in fact, detect neutron emissions, but the reviewers
had improperly calibrated their detector, and thus misinterpreted the
findings. But Taleyarkhan's group agrees that further study is needed.

The attacks outside academia strike Lahey as personally motivated.
The U.S. government funds traditional fusion to the tune of hundreds
of millions of dollars. "People are worried about the impact these
poor little coffee cups are going to make on the Tokamac (a huge
machine at the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory). That's nonsense.
We're not going to affect their budget, and we're at a completely
different state of development," Lahey says. Commercial energy
production, if possible, is "years away," he says.

Tell us what you think. editor@villagevoice.com E-mail this story to a friend.

copyright The Village Voice 2oo2. [fair use, em .edu ~e.org]

  the electronetwork-list
  electromagnetism / infrastructure / civilization
		http://www.electronetwork.org/