Re: ~e; electromagnetic-waste

From Paul Fenn <paulfenn@local.org>
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:28:25 -0800
In-reply-to <a05101208b8a06a22509d@[165.247.249.18]>

Mr Carroll,

For the alternative, see California's largest nonprofit computer recycling
center, also largest donor of computer equipment to Cuba,

check out www.accrc.org

Keep up the excellent work on this important project,

Paul Fenn
Local Power

At 04:36 PM 2/25/02 -0600, you wrote:

> [...]
>
>  "SAN JOSE, California -- What happened to that old computer after you
> sold it to a secondhand parts dealer?
>
>Environmental groups say there's a good chance it ended up in a Third
>World dump, where thousands of laborers burn, smash and pick apart
>electronic waste to scavenge for the precious metals inside, unwittingly
>exposing themselves and their surroundings to innumerable toxic hazards.
>
>A report being released Monday documents one such "cyber-age nightmare" a
>cluster of villages in southeastern China where computers still bearing
>the labels of their former owners in America are ripped apart and
>discarded along rivers and fields.
>
>The authors of the report, called "Exporting Harm: The High-Tech Trashing
>of Asia," hope it puts pressure on U.S. companies and lawmakers to
>increase domestic recycling efforts.
>
>..."

>TECH21
>Group exposes America's dirty tech secret
>Henry Norr
>Monday, February 25, 2002
>full article at:
>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/02/25/BU212924.DTL
>
>"Amid terrorism, war, recession and Enron, I can sympathize if you feel
>you don't have much bandwidth left over to worry about e-waste -- the
>millions of tons of unwanted PCs, monitors, TVs, phones and other
>toxic-laden electronic gear piling up in garages, closets and warehouses
>across the country and around the world.
>
>But like it or not, the issue is too big, too concrete and potentially too
>dangerous to stay under the rug much longer. And people who have come to
>understand the stakes -- not just environmental activists, but also a
>fast- growing band of state and local officials -- aren't going to let us
>leave it there.
>
>DIRTY LITTLE SECRET
>
>A report scheduled for release today provides devastating evidence of a
>phenomenon that has long been suspected but never before documented: Huge
>quantities of scrap electronics from the United States wind up in
>impoverished regions of Asia, where valued material is extracted by
>primitive methods that are highly dangerous to the health of the workers
>involved and to the environment.
>
>Titled "Exporting Harm: The High-Tech Trashing of Asia," the report will
>be published jointly by the Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition of San Jose
>(on whose site, www.svtc.org, it should be posted) and by the Basel Action
>Network, a global group, based in Seattle, that seeks limits on
>international trade in toxic material.
>
>Major contributions to the report were also made by three nongovernmental
>organizations in Asia: Greenpeace China, Toxics Link India, and SCOPE
>(Society for Conservation and Protection of the Environment) of Pakistan.
>
>..."
>
>  the electronetwork-list
>  electromagnetism / infrastructure / civilization

local power
4281 Piedmont Avenue
Oakland, California 94611
Telephone 510 451 1727