~e; fwd: The New Energy Report

From bc <human@electronetwork.org>
Date Thu, 6 Dec 2001 20:21:13 -0600

  [thanks * for the forward...]

From: "Alternative Energy Institute" <Editor@altenergy.org>
Subject: Th e New Energy Report: AEI Newsletter #63, 12/1/01

Check out AEI's exciting new book "Turning the Corner: Energy
Solutions for the 21st Century." It's your roadmap to the coming
energy revolution! Read a FREE sample chapter and order it here!:
<http://www.altenergy.org/book/book.html>http://www.altenergy.org/book/book.html

NEW ENERGY REPORT #63

SOLAR UTILITY IN A BACKPACK
The U.S. Army is testing one at its South Pole station. Greenpeace
International has ordered some for use in India. A solar power unit
that can be carried in a backpack was created by a Portland, Oregon,
inventor and is already making its way around the world. The Solar
Power Pack contains a folding monocrystalline solar panel, battery,
controller, plugs, cords and light. It weighs only 24 pounds but
provides users with 120 watt-hours of power a day.
----------
Find out more using our quick link page:
<http://www.altenergy.org/news/newsletter63/newsletter63.html>http://www.altenergy.org/news/newsletter63/newsletter63.html

ICELAND: THE HYDROGEN ECONOMY
As the first country to make a real effort to become free of fossil
fuels, Iceland is now poised to play pasha to the global explorers of
renewable energy. Iceland is an ideal test bed for hydrogen power.
Two-thirds of the country's energy consumption already comes from
clean, renewable hydroelectric and geothermal energy. By using
methods first pioneered by Professor Arnason in the 1970s, this clean
energy can be harnessed to produce hydrogen for fuel cells in
nonpolluting electric motors.
----------
Find out more using our quick link page:
<http://www.altenergy.org/news/newsletter63/newsletter63.html>http://www.altenergy.org/news/newsletter63/newsletter63.html

SOLAR POWER WINS BIG IN SAN FRANCISCO
In a major overhaul of their power system, San Francisco voters have
approved a $100 million bond to fund the nation's biggest solar power
project in one of the country's most famously foggy cities. The main
solar power initiative won by a landslide 73-to-26 percent margin.
Under its provisions, the city will move ahead with plans to issue a
$100 million revenue bond to install 10 megawatts of solar and 30
megawatts of wind power generation on city property, moves which
should supply about one quarter of all the power consumed by city
government.
Find out more using our quick link page:
<http://www.altenergy.org/news/newsletter63/newsletter63.html>http://www.altenergy.org/news/newsletter63/newsletter63.html

LIVING 'OFF THE GRID'
Independence and concern for the environment are important to East
Mountain residents Ronn and Elizabeth Bell. When they decided to move
to the mountains they chose some property that is surrounded by pine
trees but doesn't have commercial electricity. The Bells are among
many East Mountain residents who live "off the grid." Their home is