Re: [mlg-ics] Edu-Factory Project and Website

From "Matthew Hale" <husunzi@hotmail.com>
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 03:50:30 +0000
In-reply-to <2D844393-F0AE-40A9-BDA9-A31E754790E7@unsw.edu.au>

Andrew,

Thanks for your comment, and I agree that many academics overestimate the importance of their research and writing, which usually gets read by only a small handful of other academics. But I disagree that universities are unimportant in the class struggle. This is not at all because universities are "great repositories of truth, social justice, and higher knowledge," but precisely because of "the historical and present connectedness of academia to the corporate and political bodies that really run the show," as you mention. And this is part of the point that I think Wang Hui is missing in his interview - he talks about "Chinese universities" as if they consisted only of humanities professors and grad students at Qinghua, Beida, and Fudan, many of whom really do consider their work to be about creating and propagating truth, social justice, and higher knowledge, but in reality, most universities and colleges in China (including these three two some extent, outside of these narrow circles) are primarily means for training future workers, just like most colleges and universities all over the world. The university is becoming more important in capitalist reproduction, and therefore in the class struggle, because jobs require more and more training, and it is increasingly difficult to find many jobs, even relatively low-income and high-stress jobs, without some kind of college degree. In China, for instance, only a few years ago the government assigned many medical jobs to all graduates of vocational high schools, but now such jobs generally require at least a college degree, so it is much more difficult and expensive to get jobs in the medical profession, even while many poor people would be grateful to have even the basic-level health care they had in the past.

All this is to say that universities and colleges in China, and most other places in the world that I know of, seem to be becoming an increasingly central site in the reproduction of labor-power and capitalist relations. The fact that most people cannot access this education does not mean that they live in the real world and that universities are cut off from reality; because it is increasingly difficult to find a formal job without a college degree, this may in fact mean that more and more people are becoming excluded from formal capitalist relations and falling into something like a sub-proletarian state on the fringes of capitalism. If so, then their struggle for access to education becomes a struggle to be included within formal capitalist relations, and students' struggles in the university, such as struggles against overwork, discipline, etc., become a struggle against job-training, and so part of the proletarian struggle against capital.

This are just my immature reflections inspired by your comments and recent experiences among college students in China, so I'm sure there are a lot of theoretical problems with them. I look forward to people's responses (qingjiao, qingjiao).

Matthew Hale
Anthropology
University of Washington
currently in Chengdu

From: Andrew Field <andrew.field@unsw.edu.au>
To: Matthew Hale <husunzi@hotmail.com>
CC: vukovich@hkucc.hku.hk, zhongguo@openflows.org
Subject: Re: [mlg-ics] Edu-Factory Project and Website
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 10:10:24 +1000

"As was the factory, so now is the university. Where once the factory was a paradigmatic site of struggle between workers and capitalists, so now the university is a key space of conflict, where the ownership of knowledge, the reproduction of the labour force, and the creation of social and cultural stratifications are all at stake."

This strikes me as the sort of bombastic rhetoric that we are used to hearing about the role of universities in the world. Are universities really that important? Or is our understanding of universities simply the product of our own exaggerated sense of self- importance as academics, as well as the narrow-mindedness of our own world view? In the English-speaking world we use the term "ivory tower" to suggest this narrowness. I prefer Zhuangzi's metaphor of the "frog in the well."

We operate under the flawed assumption that universities are the great repositories of truth, social justice, and higher knowledge. Was it ever so? Over the years I have come to increasingly doubt this assumption. To suggest that the university is a "key space of conflict" in the world today is to both over- and under- estimate the historical and present connectedness of academia to the corporate and political bodies that really run the show.

Andrew Field
Lecturer, School of History
363 Morven Brown Building
University of New South Wales