Re: Great Leap Forward texts?

From Daniel Frederick Vukovich <vukovich@hkucc.hku.hk>
Date Fri, 2 Mar 2007 12:55:47 +0800
Cc zhongguo@openflows.org
In-reply-to <930493.88016.qm@web52815.mail.yahoo.com>
References <930493.88016.qm@web52815.mail.yahoo.com>
User-agent Internet Messaging Program (IMP) 3.2.2

Brian,

Three cheers for the work of Chris Bramall, no question.  But you are either
talking about a different Patnaik or different article.  There was something
that circulated on this list (ten years ago?) from her, written for a CPI-M
newspaper.  That is a different thing altogether.

You say you havent seen any critiques of Bannister's figures but that is what
the Patnaik article from 2002 (I think?) precisely does-- it is the subject of
the piece. And there are no GLF vital stats I'm aware of.  The previous census
was what '55 or '57 latest?  And even Riskin uses those.  So we must not be
talking about the same thing. And for the record, you dont do well to trash
talk Patnaik or any of the JNU/Frontline/Samat people for that matter.  Good
grief.

Anyway I'm not interested in throwing random data and accusations around.  I'll
try and get that article scanned and posted at CSG, after promising JJ to do
just that years ago.

cheers, Dan

Daniel F. Vukovich
Assistant Professor
Comparative Literature, School of Humanities
208 Main Bldg.
The University of Hong Kong
(852) 2859 7934