Re: Query on 19th C "open door" policy

From Rwchina@aol.com
Date Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:04:36 EST

Hi Jonathan,

I am afraid I cannot help much with specific references on this.  What is interesting is how, when I was growing up--never mind when--the ODP was presented in terms of how the U.S. "saved" China from the greedy European colonialists, by keeping them from carving it up.  Needless to say, my views of that policy have changed over time.  I do not know from what angle your friend is pursuing this, and do not know how it is taught these days in U.S. textbooks, but that might be an interesting line to look at.

Robert