Re: Who's afraid of Vaclav Smil?

From "Bryan D. Tilt" <tilt@u.washington.edu>
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:26:22 -0800 (PST)
Cc zhongguo@openflows.org
In-reply-to <1101838468.41acb884dbcc4@churlish.uchicago.edu>

I've enjoyed Vaclav's books, and I had a chance to meet him last year when he visited Seattle. He's first and foremost an environmental scientist, and his concern with Chinese culture/history is secondary. He also has real materialist undertones in his work that turn some people off. That said, he's not uninterested in the cultural, political and historical causes that underlie the phenomena that he writes about, but those things are better left to other people.

Bryan

Bryan D.  Tilt
Department of Anthropology
University of Washington