Re: The Qing state

From "brian turner" <bkt90@hotmail.com>
Date Sun, 26 Sep 2004 06:00:16 +0000

Thanks for the references.  I should have mentioned Pomeranz, since his
highly critical review of Hill Gates _China's Motor: A Thousand Years of
Petty Capitalism_ in the Bulletin of Concerned Asian scholars (1998?),
followed by a brief rebuttal and reply to that by Pomeranz, was what
prompted a curiousity about this issue on my part, of which I've just begun
to dabble in.  Having read almost exclusively about the 20th century
economy, I'm a neophyte at all this, so am glad to get the references.