Suggestions for China syllabus

From Joel Andreas <jandreas@jhu.edu>
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:29:25 -0400
Cc zhongguo@openflows.org
In-reply-to <20040429172425.8481.qmail@server30.gnxonline.com>
References <20040429172425.8481.qmail@server30.gnxonline.com>
User-agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4)Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)

Dear colleagues:

I’m putting together a syllabus for a course I’ll be teaching next fall about social inequality in China since 1949.  I’d appreciate it if you can recommend any readings or forward any syllabi that might include readings (and films) appropriate for the course.  I am pasting the brief course description below.  Also, if you’d like to see the syllabus after I have a draft (this summer), please tell me and I’ll send you a copy.

Take care,

Joel Andreas

**

Revolution, Reform and Social Inequality in China

This course explores several aspects of social inequality in China during the Mao Zedong era and the post-Mao reform era. We will examine inequality within villages, the rural/urban divide, urban inequality, education and health policies, and gender and ethnic relations. Each of these issue areas will be tackled analytically, but the aim is also to understand what it was/is like to live in China during and after the Mao era.