2 fwds from Scott Savitt

From Jonathan Lassen <jlassen@clarku.edu>
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:19:36 -0400 (EDT)
Cc scott savitt <scene@well.com>

(Scott's email program seems to be messing with his outgoing posts)

Dear Steve:

First and foremost is the statement: "In China during the Mao era, did released prisoners who stayed on to work have their freedom? One first
must define what the term "freedom" means." This to me borders on obscene.

Second, "There can be no doubt that becoming a professional China basher has paid off handsomely for Wu." This is precisely the type of
obfuscating smear tactic that the author purports to be criticizing. We all know the hallmarks of true official corruption: Mercedes sedans,
Mistresses, Open Acceptance of Bribes, Abuse of Authority, Overseas Bank Accounts. None of these describe Wu.

I don't see the need to continue. As I have communicated to you privately, I do not agree with Harry's politics. I was just emphasizing that
these articles do not even concede that: 1. 19 years in a prison camp can take an understandable physical and psychological toll on a person;
and 2. Harry has done and continues to do much valuable work.

I see no need to beat this dead horse further. I am confident that we all have more constructive uses of our time than completely dismissing a
man's life's work because we disagree with some of his more extreme statements/methods.

Scott

>Scott,
>I would want to ask for elaboration, what arguments that the author
>makes in this column that I cited is 'not calmly reasoned'. That seems
>like a cheap way out of a serious engagement with arguments made by the
>author.

>steve

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:15 , scott savitt <scene@well.com> sent:

Dear Robert:

I appreciate your parenthetical "I mean this sympathetically." That
is all I was trying to emphasize in playing Devil's Advocate. If
Harry is an "evildoer," much responsibility lies with the laogai
system he is a product of. That said, I know many young people in
China who frequent his websites, and find them valuable.

Scott