Re: Want to Join a Protest? Press 'Forward'

From megan <megan@tao.ca>
Date Mon, 20 Dec 1999 19:10:42 +0000 (GMT)

[: hacktivism :]

Want to join a protest? get your ass on the street....

I dunno how astute this article is - it seems pretty ridiculous to me -
especially given the fact that I know that activists travelled the west
coast and beyond all summer long - to spread the word for the WTO. It is
true that we use the Internet to organize - but a lot of the actual
"organizing" is still taking place in conferences, meetings, direct action
camps, and other places.... meaning that - we, as activists, still
organize face to face the majority of the time (we get a lot more done, it
is more secure, and it is nice to get to know the people that we are
working with)

It is bullshit that we are all modern "lenins" who instead of having to
educate each other face to face - can just hit a reply button. To forward
emails is not to "join the revolution" - what a totally smug and
self-congratulatory analysis....

No - the real revolutionaries are those doing the on-the-ground
organizing work day to day - the folx who participate in the direct
actions themselves - and those that actually demand revolution (instead of
fix it or nix it - which is not a revolutionary demand).... they are the
people that are building infrastructure for radicals in their communities
(like info shops, community daycares and food distribution systems)...

If revolution was so easy as forwarding around a few thousand emails -
then it would have already happened..... I have see one too many articles
like this hailing the internet as the reason for the huge numbers at the
WTO....

this totally ignores all evidence to the contrary (ie - all the work that
people did around the country in their communities and others to spread
the word).... same with the School of the Americas protest - which is not
huge because of email - but because that same protest happens every year
and has for over 10 years now.... it is the consistency of the organizers
of the SOA protest that allows the demonstration to grow year after year -
not the internet....

This article is mostly just smug, self-serving and totally inaccurate -
its too bad that more activists don't work to correct this type of
misinformation.... since it really discounts the real work that people do
every day.

Megan

"i suggest that if you break a window, you are an idiot to not take that
which is protected by it. after all, it was stolen from us in the first
place"  - quoted from an email sent to the vancouver list
Find me at - http://www.tao.ca/~megan