RE:every post regarding government snooping

From "Lindsey Smith" <gruenebanane@hotmail.com>
Date Thu, 04 Nov 1999 18:35:14 PST

[: hacktivism :]

Well, I'm one of those types that think that the government is a corporate
oligarchy.  My university is dominated by corporate interests and those of
us who have tried to speak out against the corporations have been silenced.
Free speech is tolerated only to the extent that it doesn't hurt the
interests of the trustees or our president.  There has been a series of gang
rapes and beatings that have occurred on our campus over the last few years,
too many of which have involved a particular fraternity.  When several women
decided there was a need to make the campus aware of the sexual harassment
and rapes that have happened by posting fliers, they were taken down.  When
the women approached the university about this they were told that notices
of this kind would lower enrollment rates.  A professor intervened on their
behalf and though the entire dept. voted to reappoint him for the following
semester, he was released.  What is really interesting is that several of
the trustees (who basically own this town) are alumni of this fraternity.  A
friend of mine who has heavily researched (for 2 years) this fraternity and
is fighting to have its charter revoked published an article in an
underground student newsletter exposing everything, was told the next week
he could no longer DJ his acoustic radio show because he was using it to
further his own interests even though he hadn't said anything about this
fraternity or any other personal interest on the air for almost five months.
  Even more interesting is that Gov. John Engler who is vying for the
vice-pres candidacy slot with Bush is also an alumnus of this fraternity.
This particular oppression may be at the university level now but it looks
like it might be something that goes up to the top.  If people honestly can
believe that legislators and others in positions of power don't except
millions of dollars in campaign contributions in exchange for passing
certain legislation, if people can't make connections between corporate
"Fruit" interests or corporate oil interests and the wars we wage against
other nations, if people cannot make sense of the fact that files that were
stolen from the FBI by activists state exactly how they were trying to crush
the Civil Rights movement by having informants in the various groups and by
pitting various black leaders against each other, then I am afraid.
Its everywhere. And I see it with my own eyes.