Re: net privacy?

From Joshua Hirsh <someguy@tao.ca>
Date Wed, 3 Nov 1999 20:42:48 +0000 (GMT)
In-reply-to <036101bf25e7$0c1c0820$b0a148c3@willz.office.community.net.uk>

[: hacktivism :]

All the script does is print out the environment variables during its run
time, which is why a large portion of it is all server related.

For your average web browser, you will only send the information below to
the server when you request to download the example page of
www.notarealhost.com/index.html (this doesn't really exist, its just an
example)

Netscape (4.7):

GET /index.html HTTP/1.0
Connection: Keep-Alive
Accept-Charset: iso-8859-1,*,utf-8

and for IE (5)

GET / HTTP/1.1
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/msword, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, */*
Host: www.notarealhost.com
Connection: Keep-Alive

Nothing really too exciting here. Now if you were to follow a link to a
page, the referring link would be sent along with this data. Also
any cookie that was set to be sent when you connect to this page, will be
sent as well.

The information about your ip address and hostname, are environment
variables that are created by the server you connect to.

Awhile back, MSIE used to send quite a bit more information than it now
does. At one time I remember seeing it send information about your current
screen resolution and color depth, probably more as well, but I've long
since forgotten what most of it was.

-joshua