Re: Question

From "Scott Lamberton" <slamberton@horizons.ca>
Date Tue, 2 Nov 1999 11:10:20 -0500

[: hacktivism :]

So am I in the wrong place?  I've very comfortable with activism,
>particularly for domestic causes traditionally on the left side of the
>political scale.  I attempt to wield the computer in ways to further my
>beliefs.  Occasionally I'm successful; usually I'm not.  My experience
>has been that even those whose ideas agree with mine cannot be talked
>into bringing the computer into social battle.  When I first looked at
>the messages forwarded by the List, I said, "finally, somewhere I can
>find some help."

(delurking)

I have been lurking on this list since its inception and with the latest
round of reflection on the "hacktivism" list purpose need to share some
examples of the valuable service this list is providing.  This list has been
"somewhere I can find some help"!

I am a "newbie" to technology.  However, I would not say that I am a
"newbie" to activism, although I sympathize with this lists' discussions in
this later area as one person's "activism" is another's "complicity" within
many areas of community action.  Part of the reason I subscribed to this
list was as some earlier posts cited: establishment of alternative networks
using recycled technology, training programs for the technology-poor, access
issues, etc.  Largely this was due to my "day job" as a fundraiser for
community development programs in rural Mexico and Central America (or for
that matter parts of rural Ontario).

Where that hasn't transpired there has been yet other invaluable resources
on this list.  For example the parody of the hunger site.  Hunger is a big
issue for those of us who work for international develoment NGOs.  However,
we also recognize the perversity of corporate control that creates such
disasters.  The hunger site pardoy was wonderful and is being distributed to
global educators who work with teachers on classroom education on these
issues.  Similarily, a regional global education organization I volunteer
with has begun to make connections with RT Mark (?) which was an url I got
from this list.  RT Mark has a project underway for a "map" that defines the
boundaries of corporate control around the globe, delineating free trade
zones, business interests, etc. (rather than national boundaries)--this
should prove to be an invaluable resource for classroom use.   There has
also been a sharing of information around sites for "newbies" all of which
is very much appreciated.

I sympathize with the writer above who notes "that even those whose ideas
agree with mine cannot be talked into bringing the computer into social
battle".  The participants on this list need to be aware just how prevalent
this phenomenon is (especially within the "left") and that as a result for
many of us your list is an essential service.  Those of us who are "lurking"
may not have much of substance to offer to either the discussion or news but
we appreciate the advice and action taken here.  Thank you.