Re: Italian Net Strike Against WTO N30 - Early example of NET STRIKE

From rdom@thing.net
Date Wed, 20 Oct 1999 08:09:18 -0400
References <LOBBKJFGNNPEEKDNFLIOGECJCFAA.grugnog@tao.ca> <380D8E45.32EC814E@oberberg.net>

[: hacktivism :]

Philipp wrote:

> [: hacktivism :]
>
> Grugnog schrieb:
>
> > [: hacktivism :]
> >
> > This was posted on the N30 list. Not sure what they mean by a 'Net Strike'.
>
> i guess its something like workers refuse to work and go out on the street to
> demonstrate.
> perhaps they try to make ISPs close logins for a day or something...

Early example of a NET STRIKE (1998...i think we -EDT - even have one
from as early as 1996 ) the email that gave EDT the idea for the
Zapatista FloodNet (which i posted on an net.art list (eyebeam) and
Brett Stalbaum form CADRE responded.....:

               Cyberpower For Peace In Chiapas: Action Alert
               *** For immediate release: January 19, 1998 ***

          CALL FOR VIRTUAL SIT-INS AT
          FIVE MEXICO FINANCIAL
          WEB SITES

          The following call for a NETSTRIKE FOR ZAPATA on Thursday, January 29,
          comes from the Anonymous Digital Coalition in Italy. It calls for
          simultaneous world-wide virtual sit-ins at five Mexico City financial
          institution's web sites.

          Rarely have grassroots groups exercised cyberpower in this way. Clearly

          people in Italy are using their creativity and imagination. This is a
          unique opportunity to move into new terrain for coordinated world-wide
          action. Be part of what is probably the first globally coordinated
virtual
          sit-in!

          Below is the English version and includes correct information for all
time
          zones in North America. The original message from the Autonomous
Digital
          Coalition which includes Spanish and Italian versions can be found in
the
          Chiapas95 archives:
http://www.eco.utexas.edu/faculty/Cleaver/chiapas95.html

          NETSTRIKE FOR ZAPATA

          On Sun, 18 Jan 1998 14:08:07 -0500, Anonymous anon@anon.efga.org wrote:

          NetStriking for Zapata   (from Anonymous Digital Coalition)

          In solidarity with the Zapatista movement we welcome all the netsurfers

          with the ideals of justice, freedom, solidarity and liberty within
their
          hearts, to sit-in the day 29/01/1998 from 4:00 p.m. GMT (Greenwich Mean

          Time) to 5:00 p.m. GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) in the following five web
          sites, symbols of Mexican neoliberalism:

          Bolsa Mexicana de Valores
          http://www.bmv.com.mx
          Grupo Financiero Bital
          http://www.bital.com.mx
          Grupo Financiero Bancomer
          http://www.bancomer.com.mx
          Banco de Mexico
          http://www.banxico.org.mx
          Banamex
          http://www.banamex.com

          Technical instructions:

          Connect with your browser to the upper mentioned web sites and push the

          bottom "reload" several times for an
          hour (with in between an interval of few seconds)

          1) For Netscape navigator users on PC, Apple Macintsoh and Unix o.s.:
          - From the Option menu select Preferences and set up:
          memory cache = 0
          disk cache = 0
          verify document = Every Time
          - From The Option menu select Network Preferences, and activate the No
          Proxies option

          2) For Microsoft Internet Explorer users:
          from the View menu select Options - Advanced - and in the Temporary
          Internet File Box
          select Never

          During netstrike time you can connect to IRC channel #netstrike
          on server: irc.funet.fi

          Your local time zone
          related to Greenwich Mean Time

          City            Local Time

          GMT -10
          Hawaii
          from 6:00 to 7:00 am

          GMT -9
          Alaska
          from 7:00 to 8:00 am

          GMT -8
          Pacific Coast (USA, Canada), Tijuana, San Francisco
          from 8:00 to 9:00 am

          GMT -7
          West Time Zone (Usa, Canada), Arizona,
          from 9:00 to 10:00 am

          GMT -6
          Ciudad de Mexico, Saskatchewan, Central Time Zone (USA, Canada)
          from 10.00 to 11.00 am

          GMT -5
          East Time Zone  (USA, Canada), Indiana (East), Bogota', Lima, Montreal,
New
          York
          from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm

          GMT -4
          Caracas, La Paz,  Atlantic Coast (Canada)
          from 12:00 to 1:00 pm