Re: HateWatch Press Release: Activism vs Hacktivism

From "stu" <lsi@space.net.au>
Date Mon, 6 Sep 1999 16:30:45 +0800
In-reply-to <199909051751.NAA01869@tao.ca>

[: hacktivism :]

> everybody must have the right to publish his/her ideas,
> and promote his/her cause, WHATEVER IT MAY BE.

> I am still wondering whether this list is dedicated to hackers or to
> activists .....

well, what is a hacker?  Contemporary media hijaacked the term
and proceeded to use it to describe a malicious electronic
assailant.  But history defines it as anyone who messes with a
system until it does something unusual.  Activists fight for "good
causes" ...

...so a hacktivist is someone who messes with a system to
promote peace, learning and happiness.

Levy's hackers, for example, picked locks at MIT -- but only so
they could develop the beginnings of the multiuser, multitasking
operating systems we're using to write these messages.

The essential difference seems to be about intent - facilitation vs
mutilation.

Stuart