Re: conspiracy charges

From n ik <fragments@va.com.au>
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:27:42 +1000

[: hacktivism :]

Lub Dub Saaaa wrote:

> "just arranging to give someone a lift to an action can be conspiracy."
> "I could site thousands of RTS or J18th examples too-just depends how serious a level of NVDA you're into..."
> then i think everyone should be informed of these um, laws or whatever they are.. because really, how much do we really know about them? I mean, we could be involved in an illegal conspiracy just by being on this list, right?

every country has different laws pertaining to acts of nvda - but i would think that most countries would have conspiracy laws that enable charges to be laid only if a potentially illegal action is planned - does the choke carnivore day count...? depends on "where' you are (if the net has done
one thing, its made this question - in a legal sense - increasingly ambigious).

> So what are our rights? We'd like to know which actions, inactions, thoughts, intents or messages constitute as "potential involvement in a conspiracy"; by perspectives of each law-enforcement/ investigative-intelligence/ national-world-security agency. Just to know where the limits are, etc.
>
> And what the hell is a "RTS or J18th"?

rts = reclaim the streets. rts's are 'organised conincidences' that generally take the form of massive street parties. they are a form of protest that attempts to (temporarily) reclaim enclosed public space, and celebrate non-consumer culture, as well as protest against the role the car plays in
the encloser and paving of our public spaces.
J18 was the date of the first global 'carival against capitalism' (happened in 99)....it was born from the first intenationally co-ordinated rts held to coincide with the WTO's second ministerial meeting in Geneva (may 16 the year b4). seattle was the next one after J18 (N30)...seattle was by no
means the first, and wont be the last...

from the a-info list
--
<snip>
The first Global Days of Action took place in late

But in 28 other countries, it was a different story
entirely. Five hundred thousand people took to the
streets of Hyderabad in India, with the rallying cry,
"We, the people of India, hereby declare that
we consider the WTO our brutal enemy." In Brazil,
an anti-WTO march drew some 50,000 people, including
members of the country's Movement of Landless People,
who were simultaneously looting supermarkets and
government food stores as a protest against hunger.
Some 20 cities held Global Street Parties, raucous
and celebratory takeovers of public space, inspired
by Reclaim the Streets (RTS), a movement that began
in England during the early 1990s from a convergence
of Earth First! campaigners against road construction
and ravers fighting criminalization of their
underground party scene.

Meanwhile, in Geneva, on the first day of the WTO
meeting, 10,000 protested vigorously outside, while
some of the more militant youth vandalized some banks
and a McDonald's; the police attacked demonstrators
with clubs and tear gas, but actions continued for
three more days, including traffic blockades and a
march by 1000 bound and gagged people, symbolizing
the silencing of civil society by corporate rule.

Just over a year later, on June 18, 1999, PGA coordinated
a "Global Day of Action Against Financial Centers," also
called a "Carnival Against Capital," to coincide with
the G8 Summit meeting of the major industrial powers.
If the 1998 actions were impressively large and
widespread, J18 (when this sort of abbreviation was
first used) was staggering. There were events in well
over 100 cities and more than 40 countries: from
Australia to Zimbabwe, Sweden to South Korea, Chile
to the Czech Republic. Famously, J18 in London escalated
into anti-capitalist mayhem, with millions of dollars
of property damage to corporate and financial
institutions, in a protest that partly inspired the
actions of Seattle's Black Bloc.

In the U.S., activists in eight cities - including
Los Angeles, San Francisco, Eugene, Boston, New York,
and D.C. - organized actions for J18, mainly under
the auspices of Reclaim the Streets, which had
crossed the Atlantic over the previous year; the
largest of them had several hundred participants.
The American movement was still flying below radar,
reaching a fairly small number of people in the know,
but that was changing quickly.

Peoples' Global Action gathered again in August 1999
in the Indian city of Bangalore, hosted by a local
radical farmers association known for torching
genetically modified crops and burning down a KFC
fast-food outlet. The agenda? To coordinate N30,
the next global day of action, which was to coincide
with the meeting of the World Trade Organization
in Seattle.
--
nik

--
+ rupert, rupert the bear, everyone knows his name +
- C7W, S11