Re: Free software would block FBI\'s Carnivore

From Kai Raven <kai.raven@gmx.de>
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:34:00 +0200

[: hacktivism :]

Hello Agent Smiley,

On 09.08.00 to subject "Free software would block FBI\'s Carnivore", you
wrote:

>http://www.washtimes.com/business/default-200088221151.htm

>Free software would block FBI's Carnivore
>By Julie Hyman
>THE WASHINGTON TIMES

And the private keys of the users are stored on the mithril server
(Antivore). I don't trust a system, where the private key is not stored on
my own machine.

"Clients connect via SSL to our SMTP proxy.  The passphrase they use at
login time is also the passphrase for their private key, which is stored,
encrypted, on the Mithril server. When they send mail, the message is sent
over that encrypted channel to the SMTP proxy. The proxy uses the user's
private key to sign the message.  The SMTP proxy attempts to find a public
key for the recipient. If it finds a key, it encrypts the message with the
public key belonging to the recipient. If multiple recipients are found,
the message is individually encrypted to each of them using each of their
private keys."

See http://www.antivore.org/whatisantivore.html

Ciao
Kai
--

Homepage: http://home.kamp.net/home/kai.raven/index.html
PGP:2048-RSA: 96FC7E3F DH/DSS PGP-Key ID: 0xB08FCDFD