Re: security software: InTether

From Lorax <lorax@dojo.tao.ca>
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:07:28 +0000 (GMT)

[: hacktivism :]

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, mark ~ roth wrote:

> I was recently turned on to this company and it's product InTether...
>  havent heard it mentioned on this list yet as a way to secure files, and
> curious what people think of their claims.

It's as much snakeoil many other proprietary "security products".  It will
be secure untill the reader side of things is hacked, patched, duplicated
or whatever.  Their "technology" hinges on the sanctity of an reading program.
Since they only have it available on platforms without the benefit of protected
memory, the process is vunerable to viruses.

There is also no such thing as a program that can erase all traces of data from
a hard drive.  This is why Federal US government agencies require hard drives
to be bulk erased, shredded into small pieces, and melted into slag before they
are considered "sanatized".

---
Lorax