Re: Ehippies new DoS tools and information

From Bronc Buster <bronc@attrition.org>
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:29:49 -0700 (MST)

[: hacktivism :]

This thread is getting rather out of hand, and it appears it is boiling
down to a Freedom of Speech and a Constitutional thing.

How can we quiet the opposition; whats the right way to deny access to
this or that web site; what is the correct way to make our views seen,
etc, etc...

This brings back the fact that is becoming clearer with each post on this
list, and that is a lot of the old school activists/raticals/whatever they
want to be called, still do not understand the basic concepts of the
Internet. The Internet is GLOBAL, and is about sharing information. There
are no borders, no (or hardly any inforcable) laws, no governing body -
nothing!

Freedom of speech online is what WE say it is, not what our Constitution
says. The people who invented the Internet in Europe (as we know it)
didn't do it worrying about freedom of speech, they invented it to share
information among each other. Look at the EDT or these e-hippie people,
they are telling us, for a limited time, what freedom we have online.
When they take down a site, it is them, not the Constitution, telling us
what we can and can't see.

There are people, organizations and governments on this planet who are out
to STOP this flow of information. HACKtivism IS about putting a stop to
this, and letting people have access to what is out there.

Don't get me wrong, a "pie in the face" can be a good thing from time to
time, but it shouldn't be the main tactic. At the same time, DoS and
destructive attacks CLEARLY have NO PLACE in "HACKtivism" (maybe
[H]activism - but this is turning into something else). I am also not
digging up that tired old line about all information should be free, as
being former military I know there are some things people shold not know
or info that needs to be protected.

What is out there should be accessible. The more information someone has,
the more choices they have. The more choices they have, the more Freedom
they give themselves.

Isn't this what we all want? I realy hope so.

regards,
   Bronc Buster
bronc@attrition.org

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Hal wrote:

> Somehow this question of the protest against some sites, groups, etc.,
> has gone completely out of hand.  The proposal to protest has all of a
> sudden turned into a "bunch of blood crazed protesters (who) go and
> throw stones."  I don't think anyone has suggested such a thing or that
> anyone here would actually condone a plan for such activity.
[: quotesnip :]