Re: email protest info in support of U of T grad strike

From jjf <xdaydreamx@gmx.net>
Date Sat, 29 Jan 2000 01:46:12 -0000

[: hacktivism :]

Such protest is a good example of where hactivists can get involved. There is a similar situation happening at a university in England, a protest against tuition fees which were introduced here two years ago.

The university in question is a pretty small one (I doubt many people outside academia have heard of the School of Oriental and African Studies) and the subject has been alive for too long for the media too give a shit about it - basically they aren't reporting it.
However, reports are appearing on websites (bytes are cheap) and they are reaching a lot of people. Hey, within 48 hours we had messages of support from over 30 UK universities, Belgium, Holland, France, Germany and Russia! These messages are more than mee words on a screen. They represent the interests of people who will give us their support if we ask for it. They show that mass media don't have to be a one-way thing. They turn the established channels of indoctrination on their heads.

This is a case in point of the fact that the medium we have at our hands now is the most powerful weapon of resistance ever invented because it does for the pen what the rocket-engine did for the sword. We are fast, we are everywhere. Now all we need is dedication.

jjf

SOAS-occupation central: www.alternatives.cc