~e; EM observations #8

From brian carroll <human@electronetwork.org>
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:55:44 -0600

[keywords] nuclear diplomacy, nuclear energy, energy issues,
definitions, aether, wok antenna, fuel cell

electromagnetic observations -- #8

(majority of nuclear/energy related urls... some comments
about nuclear/energy may soon follow in a separate post...)

--urls--

[followup] Mobile Phones for Kids Raise Concerns // drudgereport.com
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050320/D88USASO0.html

	'When you use a cell phone, 70 to 80 percent of the energy emitted
from the antenna is absorbed by the head, Lai said.' .. 'Last week, a
federal appeals court in Maryland reinstated five class-action lawsuits
claiming that the cell phone industry has failed to protect consumers
from unsafe levels of radiation.'

Putin, European Leaders Agree on Iran Nuclear Program (Update3)
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/
news?pid=10000100&sid=aqhTzJaizZXA&refer=germany

	'The Iranian government wants ``to have a transparent policy,'' Putin
said. ``We have signed a very important contract with Iran on the
return of nuclear waste to Russia. In agreement with this treaty we are
going to observe in a very close manner the approach of the Iranian
authorities in this field.'''

[and] Iran to go forward with nuclear program
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/
apmideast_story.asp?category=1107&slug=France%20Nuclear%20Talks

	'The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Mohamed
ElBaradei, said a global approach is needed to keep Iran from
developing nuclear weapons, and urged Europe and the United States to
normalize ties with Tehran.' .. 'Europe and the United States "must
give Iran a sense of security so that the Iranians don't feel the need
to acquire nuclear arms," ElBaradei was quoted as telling the daily Le
Monde in remarks published Tuesday.' .. '"Iran must feel assured that
no one is thinking of attacking or provoking regime change," ElBaradei,
who spoke at the conference on Monday, was quoted as saying.' .. 'Asked
about ElBaradei's remarks, Saeidi declined to comment Tuesday, but said
there was "nothing" the United States could do to encourage Tehran to
reach a deal with the Europeans.' .. 'The Paris conference on the
future of nuclear energy, billed as the first of its kind in decades,
was sponsored by France, the IAEA and the Organization for Economic
Cooperation and Development.'

[and] 'Positive Climate' Reported at Iran Talks // ***
http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/world/wire/sns-ap-nuclear-
talks-iran,0,5606735.story?coll=sns-ap-world-headlines

	'In a joint statement Wednesday by Iran and the three European Union
nations -- France, Britain and Germany -- diplomats said the meetings
would hold to an accord reached in Paris in November that specified
Iran should voluntarily suspend uranium enrichment during the talks.'
.. 'But Iranian negotiator Sirous Nasseri said the prospect of a
permanent ban on enrichment was "nonexistent," insisting Iran enjoys
the right under the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty -- like other
signatory nations -- to enrich uranium for use in civilian power
production.' .. 'The thrust of the "intensive" and "businesslike" talks
Wednesday was to prepare for future negotiations on substantive
questions, Nasseri told The Associated Press by telephone.' .. '"This
could hopefully be the beginning for an agreement in the
not-too-distant future," he said.'

[and] Iran and EU Agree to Keep Nuclear Talks Going // ***
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=607441

	'The French foreign ministry issued a statement after the talks on
behalf of the EU trio that described the talks as positive but made
clear no agreement had been reached on the key issue — Iran's ambitions
to producer nuclear fuel.' .. '"We discussed the central issue in the
negotiations, the requirements for objective guarantees that Iran's
nuclear program is exclusively for peaceful purposes," it said.' ..
'"We agreed to pursue our efforts on the basis of the Paris agreement
to reach an effective solution to these questions."' .. 'Without giving
details, [Sirus Naseri, a senior Iranian negotiator] said that certain
proposals had been floated which he thought could lead to an
agreement.' .. '"Ideas have been raised which could, if agreed, serve
as a basis for an agreement in the future. It's still too early to say.
Things remain as they are, ideas," he said.' .. 'He also restated
Iran's position that giving up enrichment was not an option.'

WHITE HOUSE STUDIES $4 GALLON 'NIGHTMARE' SCENARIO
http://drudgereport.com/flash3gp.htm

[define] electrization // OED online
1. The process of subjecting (a person or thing) to the action of
electricity; the state or condition of being subjected to electrical
action.
2. fig. The stirring of the soul mightily, as by electric shock. [after
Fr.]

[define] electromatic // Oxford English Dictionary
Of, pertaining to, or designating electrical equipment operated
automatically, particularly road traffic light signals.

[define]  electropathy // OED
     The treatment of disease by electrical remedies. Hence
electro{sm}pathic a., pertaining to electropathy.

[define]  electronica, n. // OED
1. Music.    a. Any of various kinds of electronically generated music;
electronic music in general. b. spec. Any of various popular styles of
electronic music deriving from techno and rave music, esp. those having
a more ambient, esoteric, or cerebral quality. Often used as a generic
or marketing term for these types of music, or for electronic dance
music in general, esp. in the U.S. Also new electronica.
2. Electronic devices or technology, considered collectively.

Modern Scientific Theories of the ancient Aether
Quick Reference Resource
http://www.mountainman.com.au/aetherqr.htm

Frequently Asked Questions concerning The Aether Hypothesis
http://www.mountainman.com.au/aeth_faq.htm

Secrets of the Aether blog
http://www.16pi2.com/blog/index.htm

Statue of Pythagoras of Samos // small & large images
http://www.arcytech.org/java/pythagoras/images/pythagoras_sc_sm.jpg
http://www.arcytech.org/java/pythagoras/images/pythagoras_sc.jpg

Google doodler // via artsjournal.com
Sketch artist Dennis Hwang achieves cult status
http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/chi-
050309google,1,7121505.story?coll=chi-homepagebiz-utl

Eyeballing Energy Markets of the US // ** maps. pink = nuclear, etc...
http://cryptome.org/energy/energy-eyeball.htm

DIY wok wi-fi antenna // via engadget.com
http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

// the evolution of fuel cell strategies is reminscent of the
// changes in early (and now later) e-battery technologies...

First membrane-free alkaline fuel cell built
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7187

	'The first membraneless alkaline fuel cell has been built by
exploiting the way liquids do not mix in ultra-narrow channels. It
could offer cheaper and more efficient fuel cells.' .. 'The reason that
two liquids normally mix - as with cream poured into coffee, for
example - is a physical effect known as turbulence. But turbulence
disappears when streams of liquid become thinner than about 1
centimetre, explains Kenis.'

Blank Discs Not Created Equal // about CD & DVDs, good to know...
http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,66911,00.html

Pakistani Tribe Battles for Gas Revenues
http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/world/wire/sns-ap-pakistan-
guns-and-gas,0,3380680.story?coll=sns-ap-world-headlines

	'The silver-bearded chieftain, who is about 80 and has led the Bugti
tribe for decades, accuses the central government of pillaging
Baluchistan's natural resources while locals live in poverty -- even
though the country's main gas field is only 35 miles away.' .. 'He
described the gas as a "ripe apple not for our consumption."' ..
'"Everyone is after our Baluch national wealth. We don't get anything
out of it," he said.' .. 'Bugti is said to receive about $1.7 million a
year from the state gas company in lease fees, and the province
receives a portion of the gas profits in royalties, though local
leaders complain that is not enough.' ... 'The chieftain has been
ruthless over the years in maintaining his dominance of the Bugtis and
commands great loyalty among them -- although there is little sign in
the dirt-poor town that he has used his personal wealth to improve the
lives of its people.'

Bush Says Kim Jong-Il 'Must Listen' on Nuclear
http://reuters.myway.com/article/20050323/2005-03-
23T190405Z_01_N23507311_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-KOREA-NORTH-USA-DC.html

	'Bush, at a news conference with Mexican President Vicente Fox and
Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin, denied setting a June deadline for
North Korea to return to talks and said the five nations that have been
negotiating with Pyongyang -- the United States, China, Japan, South
Korea and Russia -- were united.' .. '"I'm a patient person. And so are
a lot of people that are involved in this issue. But the leader of
North Korea must understand that when we five nations speak, we mean
what we say," Bush said.' ... '"There is a way forward, I repeat, for
Kim Jong-il. And it's his choice to make. We've made our choice. China
has made its choice. The other countries have made their choices," Bush
said.' .. '"And for the sake of peace and tranquility and stability in
the Far East, Kim Jong-il must listen," he said.'

Blast hits BP [British Petroleum] Texas City refinery
http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B0C241EDB-1033-44DE-
858E-B34BAC32A8AA%7D&siteid=google&dist=google

	'The vast refining complex located between Houston and Galveston is
the third-largest refinery in the United States, processing up to
435,000 barrels of oil a day.[' .. 'It accounts for roughly 30 percent
of BP's refining capacity in North America and turns out 3 percent of
the nation's refined petroleum products, according to BP's Web site.'

Public awareness campaigns could help control skin cancers // em...
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/2126.html

Tool turns English to code // language-to-code and visualized code
http://www.trnmag.com/Stories/2005/032305/
Tool_turns_English_to_code_032305.html

	'While the logic of the researchers' interpreter tackles only about 20
percent of the problem of full natural language programming, it
achieves about 80 percent of the perceived rewards, said Liu. "These
code structures are a pragmatic implication of English syntax and
semantics, but even these basic structures begin to resemble a nice
program," he said.' .. 'The basic logic of the program Pacman, for
instance, is revealed by talking about how it works, said Liu. "The
basic ingredients for the program are there -- the noun phrases are
objects, the verbs are functions, [and] the adjectives are object
properties."' .. 'Metafor translates the description "Pacman is a
character who eats dots" into a "Pacman object" that is a member of and
can share traits, or functions, with a "character superclass" and has a
character superclass member function of "eat dots", said Liu.'

<nettime> Addition to Aphoristic Essay // analog-digital...
http://amsterdam.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-0503/msg00067.html

* please forward to your friends and colleagues *
send ideas to the list or info @ electronetwork.org

  the electronetwork-list:  electromagnetism and culture...
  archives: http://archives.openflows.org/electronetwork-l/
  un/subscribe: http://www.electronetwork.org/list/