~e; correction: hard drives

From brian carroll <human@electronetwork.org>
Date Sat, 1 Jan 2005 23:41:42 -0600
Cc johannes_richter@gmx.net

  I am grateful to Johannes Richter for finding a
  major error (and the subsequent inaccuracies) in
  the essay 'deconstructing hard drives', and it is
  especially appreciated as my work is self-taught
  explorations and the error was catastrophic in
  this case and so I wanted to describe the error.

  The chip that was in the harddrive that runs the
  circuit to move the actuator arm had markings
  which were misread, in short I added a '1' to
  the number and got the wrong datasheet, wrong
  schematic, and speculated from this point on.
  The most basic investigation would show that
  the pin number was 24 not 28 and that it did
  not look like the logo of the semiconductor
  company Cirrus, rather it is more like Cherry
  Semi (now either Ontario Semiconductor or Intel,
  from efforts to locate the company's datasheets).
  Here's an interesting site found as a result of
  the search for additional chip information:

'semiconductor logos'
http://www.dialelec.com/semiconductorlogos.html

  The attempts to find datasheets for the existing
  chip have been dead-ends, with no information
  available except the part number for bulk-level
  purchases/bids for what seem to be chip brokers
  in China. Otherwise no information exists on
  what the chip is/does, at least that I can find.

  So my apologies for the major error, the new page
  has been updated with an acknowledgment of this
  error and the schematic and pinout configuration
  graphics for the wrong chip removed from the site.
  I will try to be more careful in the future, as I
  am learning and did not comprehend the company
  logos on the chip, but in hindsight remember it
  was a curiosity why the logo was what it was.
  A new scan of the chip is online, luckily it
  was saved as an artifact so it could at least
  be corrected. Next time the harddrive information
  itself would be the most valuable to aid in any
  general investigation, such as the size of the
  harddrive, company which made it, as maybe a
  chip's data or functioning could be deduced
  from industry literature or some other way.

  In any case, thanks to Johannes and I hope to
  dismantle a new hard drive again to look into
  chip/circuit functioning further, as there is
  so much to learn and it's all the more curious.
  I'll work harder to present accurate information.
  Brian

– deconstructing the computer hard drive –
http://electronetwork.org/education/decons/harddrives.htm
  the electronetwork-list:  electromagnetism and culture...
  archives: http://archives.openflows.org/electronetwork-l/
  un/subscribe: http://www.electronetwork.org/list/