~e; the Later C20 Landscape

From brian carroll <human@electronetwork.org>
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:30:11 -0600

forwarded from the industrial archaeology list...
(includes electrical infrastructure; poles, towers,
power plants, particle accelerators, other, etc...)

> [Apologies for cross-postings - please forward to colleagues or lists
> that
> may be interested]
>
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>
> OUR RECENT HERITAGE: DOES IT MATTER?
>
> - English Heritage to encourage debate on
> later 20th century landscape -
>

> Cars and motorways, airports and tower blocks, council estates and
> shopping malls. Nuclear weapons, power stations, wind farms and the
> moonlanding. The smell of fast food, music festivals, TV and the web,
> easy
> travel and shrinking distances.
>
> All these defined the later 20th century. Like it or not, they have
> shaped
> who we are and is already ¡¥heritage¡¦. Yet for many people, the
> physical
> structures erected during the last 50 years are unwelcome, representing
> the destruction of an older and idyllic landscape.
>
> Change and Creation, a programme of debate, consultation and public
> engagement launched on 19th November at an academic conference,
> represents
> the first attempt to better understand the nature and value of the
> later
> 20th century landscape, how people perceive it, and what should be
> done to
> manage change in the future. It is designed and led by English
> Heritage in
> collaboration with University of Bristol, University College London and
> Atkins Heritage.
>
> The general public can now participate in the debate by sending their
> thoughts to web@changeandcreation.org. The following questions may be
> considered:
>
> „X What do you remember most clearly about the 20th century? How are
> these
> events and activities still represented in the landscape?;
> „X What do you appreciate, dislike or miss about the later 20th century
> landscape?;
> „X What should go and what should replace it? Would you prefer our
> landscape to be more like it was in the early 20th century?; and
> „X Do you have ideas for engaging your community, school or local
> society
> with aspects of the 20th century landscape?
>
> Dr John Schofield of English Heritage, said:¡¨ The diverse, powerful
> and
> often contested nature of the recent and contemporary past is the
> starting
> point of this programme. Our decisions about what to lose or what to
> replace it with must be guided and informed by careful understanding.
> ¡§
>
> Dr Dan Hicks of the University of Bristol said, "The Programme raises
> questions over how we define and characterise heritage. Such questions
> are
> very welcome, especially as part of the importance of the remains of
> the
> [...]

  the electromagnetic internetwork-list
  electromagnetism / infrastructure / civilization
  http://archives.openflows.org/electronetwork-l/
  un/subscribe: http://www.electronetwork.org/list/