Re: ~e; an electromagnetic art context

From Matthew Biederman <mbiederman@att.net>
Date Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:22:11 -0400
In-reply-to <2C5B8719-E56B-11D8-91E1-0003936C456C@electronetwork.org>
References <2C5B8719-E56B-11D8-91E1-0003936C456C@electronetwork.org>

Brian-

I had the pleasure of working in a museum for a number of years as the
"exhibitions technology manager" whereby I assisted in the installation
of new media artworks + the long term care of the works that the
institution collected.  During the time I was there, I had the pleasure
of working with Julia Scher, who has for many years utilized
surveillance and sensing at the root of work work.  Now, as we were
planning for a major new installation by her, which the museum had
commissioned with plans to purchase, she wanted to tap into the sensor
network of the museum to exploit it, namely the camera network and feed
it back to the patrons.  However, the museum would absolutely not allow
this in light of the security breach this would incur, even at the
urging of the artist and curator.  In the end we installed a great
number of our own "security" cameras throughout the museum to appear to
be exactly what they were.  We also used light sensor networks to
detect peoples location to trigger certain events in the space,
creating effectively an autonomous security system to suit her needs.
So I am not too sure how much of this is relevant for your comment,
other than than the fact that it points to the use of these tools in
such a space, and in fact I can completely relate to you "blank stares"
from museum personnel, and although I had the opportunity to work with
a wonderfully open minded curator, the rest of the institution, mostly
the part which was involved with the facility management, just simply
didn't even try to get "it".

I think there are a great number of artists doing incredibly valuable
work around surveillance systems, namely julia, the surveillance camera
players, and there is a gentleman who gives tours around new york
pointing out surveillance that happens everywhere. Although,
personally, I have this feeling (rooted in experience as I will note
below) that although there are cameras, we simply dont have both the
manpower, and attention span to to even make the cameras useful.  In
fact, at the museum I used to work for, I had my bicycle parked outside
and locked to the employee's bike rack, just below a security camera,
and wouldn't you know it, but it was stolen, right from below the
camera, no record, no one noticed a thing.  Goes to show that even with
a full time security crew, and a blanket of cameras, it doesn't do a
bit of good unless someone is actually watching.

anyway - have a look at:
http://www.thephotographyinstitute.org/www/journals/1998/
julia_scher.html
http://www.sfmoma.org/exhibitions/exhib_detail/
98_exhib_julia_scher_pe2.html

cheers-
matthew

oh and by the way, anyone who's headed to ISEA this year, stop by the
Flow Festival where I'll have a 5 channel live video setup on Saturday
August 21st.  See http://www.isea2004.net/files/ISEA2004_Magazine.PDF ,
page 23 for details...