Re: ~e; D.I.Y. electromagnetic jewelry (2)

From bc <human@electronetwork.org>
Date Sun, 2 Mar 2003 21:33:18 -0600
In-reply-to <20030303095748.4ccbcce9.fenris@sciencegirlrecords.com>

I also forgot to mention this recurring issue, that your post
reminds me of: sterilizing the metals. I wonder how these
types of electronics components could be made safe for
touching human skin in the same way real jewelry is- if
rubbing alcohol or other methods are needed, say, if one
were to get scraped by the logic chip earring that looks like
a bug with silver legs, so to avoid the dreaded tetanus shot...

if anyone is interested in making such jewelry or experimenting
there is a catalog from Jameco (U.S.) which has images of many
of the offerings and grab-bags of components for a few dollars,
homepage at http://www.jameco.com/  though a local electronics
surplus and seeing some of the wild stuff up-close can help to
change one's aesthetic sense entirely (like a monster capacitor).
a lot of these components have strange (not human-friendly)
qualities so I am not sure how advised it is to explore EM jewelry
making, beyond show-pieces, without knowing if the components
may be toxic or poisonous for wearing as regular jewelryware.

needed to write this, apparently. bc