~e; D.I.Y. electromagnetic jewelry

From bc <human@electronetwork.org>
Date Sun, 2 Mar 2003 15:43:03 -0600

  As stated previously, I had an idea about making some
  quick pieces of jewelry with electronics components. So,
  after having gathered a few pieces a week ago, yesterday
  I stopped (for the first time) to a bead-jewelry store, to see
  what they have (instead of a jewelers supply store, which
  probably has everything one needs and more). I picked up
  about 8 dollars in supplies, some of which was used in
  troubleshooting the following pieces (that is, the original
  approach did not work, so other material was necessary).
  In the end, 3 different pieces of jewelry came out of the EM
  experiment, and though a bit fragile (e.g., the superglue is
  not water-proof) and also, made by me (meaning: it will fall
  apart, eventually), it was still a very fun experiment, and it
  could lead into LEDs and batteries in necklaces or other
  types of experiments (such as, capacitor earrings are still
  being contemplated, but have yet to go to the e-surplus...).

  so, here are 8 photographs of work completed yesterday in
  a few hours of nighttime. the photos, thereafter, were done
  with an ear display made out of bent wire, for the effect of
  how it may look on an actual being with holes in their ears....

[This information is being shared in case others are interested
in making their own EM jewelry, to demonstrate one possible
approach among many. All designs/images are copyright-free.]

1-- Do-It-Yourself Transistor Necklace (2 images)

http://www.electronetwork.org/assemblage/zone2/diy1.htm

D.I.Y. Instructions: Take transistor and jump ring and attach. Loop
through
measured necklace cord. Prepare ends of cord for end-connector hooks,
then
use superglue and pliers to secure. Total time, 45 minutes.

Supplies needed: MOSFET Transistor (found at local electronics surplus
or
Radio Shack, ~$1.99 USD), 2.5 feet of black cord for necklace (~$1.20
USD),
'jump ring' for connecting transistor to cord (~$.40 USD), two necklace
end-
connector hooks (~.40 USD), superglue, needle-noze pliers. Total cost:
$4 USD.

2-- Do-It-Yourself Integrated Circuit Earrings (3 images)

http://www.electronetwork.org/assemblage/zone2/diy2.htm

D.I.Y. Instructions: Take silver stems and measure for desired hanging
distance
below ear for integrated circuits to hang. Bend one end, with
needlenose pliers
and affix the length of the other end to the inside of integrated
circuit
with superglue. The silver stem should be attached to the inner-most
side
of the integrated circuit, so as to hang farthest away from neck. Next,
after the glue is hardened, attach the ear-ring clamp. Total time, 1
hour.

Supplies needed: two integrated circuits (found at local electronics
surplus or
Radio Shack, ~$2.60 USD), two silver stems (found at bead-jewelry
stores,
~$.40 USD), two ear-ring clamps (~$5.50 USD), superglue, needlenose
pliers,
wire cutter. Total cost: $8.50 USD.

3-- Do-It-Yourself Incandescent Lightbulb Earrings (3 images)

http://www.electronetwork.org/assemblage/zone2/diy3.htm

D.I.Y. Instructions: Bend end of gold stem to surround the outer metal
base
on the lightbulb. Measure for desired hanging distance, twisting the
other
end with needlenose pliers, to attach to the ear-ring clasp. Superglue
the
the gold stem to the metal base of the light-bulb one end. Let dry for
one hour. Attach the other end to the ear-ring clasp. Total time, 2
hours.

Supplies needed: two mini-lightbulbs (found at local electronics
surplus or
Radio Shack, ~$1.50 USD), two gold stems (found at bead-jewelry stores,
~$.40 USD), two ear-ring clasps (~$1.90 USD), superglue, needlenose
pliers,
wire cutter. Total cost: $3.80 USD.

[please forward to anyone who might be interested. and, if others
are doing similar EM jewelryworks, please contact me. thanks...bc]

  the electromagnetic internetwork-list
  electromagnetism / infrastructure / civilization
  archives.openflows.org/electronetwork-l
		http://www.electronetwork.org/