~e; infrared galactic center

From human being <human@electronetwork.org>
Date Sun, 7 Jul 2002 10:21:39 -0500

  [near-IR color digital photos... new ways of perceiving the old]

The Galactic Center Across the Infrared

Astronomy Picture of the Day
Credit: 2MASS Project, UMass, IPAC/Caltech, NSF, NASA

2002 July 7 http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
If after July 7th, please goto the following URL to see today's
picture:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0007/gcatlas_2mass_big.jpg

"Explanation: The center of our Galaxy is obscured in visible light
by dark dust that rotates with the stars in the Galactic Plane. In
this century, however, sensors have been developed that can detect
light more red that humans can see - light called infrared. The above
picture shows what the Galactic Center looks like in three
increasingly red bands of near-infrared light. The picture results
from a digital combination of data recently taken by the 2MASS and
MSX Galactic surveys. In near-infrared light (shown in blue) the dust
is less opaque and many previously shrouded red giant stars become
visible. In the mid-infrared (shown in red) the dust itself glows
brightly, but allows us a view very close to our tumultuous and
mysterious Galactic Center."

  the electromagnetic internetwork-list
  electromagnetism / infrastructure / civilization
  archives.openflows.org/electronetwork-l
		http://www.electronetwork.org/