~e; continental-(e)-grid

From bc <human@electronetwork.org>
Date Sun, 3 Feb 2002 15:36:09 -0600

  [news from the World Economic Forum, about linking the Russian/Ukraine e-grids
  with the European e-power systems. why this is a general issue, not
energy specific,
  is that it mirrors the cultural order of technocratic
systems-engineering, in that
  the economic, social, and political systems are duplicated in the
systems of electrical
  power, media, and technology. thought this would be happening much
sooner, though,
  especially with the European Union integration, and presumed
integration of e-grids
  an electrical EU intranet. add to that Russia, and it goes even
farther in the mirror-
  stage of global ordering of the land- and mind-scapes. what is
paralleled is the free-
  market sound of the deal, energy trading ala Enronomics (Enron
political-economics),
  which was same-old same-old Houstonian Big-Bust (good article on
this in Salon.com).
  and, more importantly, that these large powergrids and the energy
trading of electrons
  (a logical faux pas) are much less than 2/3rds inefficient,
especially the longer that the
  power is tranmitted long-distances, more is lost than is used.
meaning, most of the
  resources burned go up in smoke, literally, meaning money and
pollutino and wars and
  all the rest, while the economics may improve for the outdated
industrial system. that
  is, unless a superconducting long-distance (near zero-loss)
transmission system were
  developed and deployed (unlikely in the nearest term). in any case,
not to wonk on any
  one issue but rather the general idea that such 'news' is rich in
cultural contextualism.]

Sunday, Feb. 3, 2002  FORUM-

Russian power king eyes linking grid with Europe

http://webcenter.newssearch.netscape.com/aolns_display.adp?key=200202031411000285664_aolns.src

NEW YORK, Feb 3 (Reuters) - Russian electricity king Anatoly Chubais
said Sunday that a top European energy official shared his dream of a
unified power system that would cut costs and save energy by linking
grids from Vladivostok to Lisbon.

Chubais, chairman of Russian giant Unified Energy Systems (UES) ,
also hinted that a strategic investor could soon be found for the
state-controlled company, which he said was already profiting from
its restructuring.

He spoke to reporters during a break in an energy governors' meeting
in the margins of the World Economic Forum, a gathering of the
political and business elite.

"The theme of synchronizing Russian and European energy systems was
raised a lot," he said.

Synchronization refers to switching to a parallel operational mode,
which would allow Russia and Europe instantly to fill gaps in the
other's power supplies by selling electricity to each other at times
of reduced local need.

Chubais said he had discussed the notion briefly with European
Commission Vice President and Commissioner for Transport and Energy
Loyola de Palacio, whom he said was also at the meeting.

"She is a firm supporter of our idea," said Chubais, who has hinted
at ambitious electricity export plans in the past.

Russia and Ukraine have already coordinated their national power
grids and the natural monopoly that Chubais runs has agreed to take a
similar step with the former Soviet republic of Belarus and Baltic
states.

Chubais said the Commonwealth of Independent States electrical energy
council would meet in March, and he hoped the former Soviet states
would give his plan political backing.

"Then we will go to working groups," he said, but noted, "There are
huge technical, juridical and political problems."

Chubais said UES capitalization had doubled in four months.

"But we need more than this...We categorically require direct
strategic investment in our power plants, in our power transmission,"
he said. "We need a strategic investor."

He added, "As things stand today we cannot boast of results. But
preparations are ongoing and I hope that this year such a result will
be achieved."

Chubais declined to say if anyone had been identified as a potential
strategic investor, saying, "It's a bit early."

UES, 52 percent state-owned but one of the Russian market's most
liquid stocks, has launched an ambitious reform and restructure plan
to win billions of dollars in investment.

The plan aims at forming a grid company, a competitive electricity
market and new national generating companies.

[fair-use, ~e.org 2oo2]

  the electronetwork-list
  electromagnetism / infrastructure / civilization
		http://www.electronetwork.org/